Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

No Power Bad Mileage HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 12:43 PM
duffysco
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry No Power Bad Mileage HELP!

I recently purchased a 2002 Ultra Classic with TC88 motor. The bike had good power but I noticed the typical sound of failed tensioners. Opened it up and sure enough.....tensioners were totally shot. So I purchased a Screaming Eagle upgrade plate and hydraulic tensioner kit. New adjustable push rods, gears and chain for for outer cam to crank. bearings inner and outer and misc other stuff. Cost well over a grand.
So I put it together using my old stock cams. Bike started immediately and seemed to run well. After riding it, I noticed it lacked some power or seemed to have a flat spot in acceleration. Then I noticed in a short time that my exhaust pipes were discolored where they were not before. I took it apart and verified everything. I made sure my timing marks were right on with the cams and the cams to crank. All were perfect according to the Harley service manual. I slowly put it back together and double checked everything. Once back together it started right up. Seems to idle good. Still same problem. I didnt remember it being like that when I bought it. I only rode it twice before tearing it apart though. Didnt want tensioners to cause an issue. So I take it to Harley dealer where the mechanic is a friend. He listens to it and takes it for a ride. He agrees, flat spot in acceleration and or no power. He thinks it sounds good though. I check the push rods and they are not too tight or loose. Then I did a gas mileage check. Oh god!.......19 MPG. Thats crazy bad. I feel like I checked everything and cannot figure it. My cams were not worn. I also put new tappets. Not hydraulic ones. Any ideas appreciated. I am testing compression today but think that will be OK. It was well cared for. I have all service records. Synthetic oil changes every 3000-3500. I'm really bumming and am starting to wish I would have bought the Star Venture I was looking at.