Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Clicking noise on cam side of motor.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012 | 09:49 PM
Herbg
|
Stage III
Default Clicking noise on cam side of motor.

I have a 03 Dyna Wide Glide. I recently started hearing a clicking noise coming from the engine. Took off the primary thinking it was the compensator. I turns out its from the cam side of the engine. It has no power loss or smoke...but it still a noise that it's not normal for and engine to make. I'm tryin to find out what it might be before I try to take anything apart. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-25-2012 | 10:18 PM
Bodean46
Road Master

Have you checked the tensioners on the cam chain? Could also be inner cam bearing coming apart.

Old 05-25-2012 | 10:54 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member

Does the clicking go away above idle?

Old 05-26-2012 | 12:12 AM
Herbg
|
Stage III

I haven't checked the tensioner yet...but that was the next thing I was going to check...but when I turn the wheel it makes the same clicking sound...sound like its hitting the housing in there somewhere...it makes the sound at idle and reved up...it was whining louder than normal before this started happening...the whining seams to be less now...I think it has a gear cam...according to the person I bought it from. Will the oil pump make this noise if its messed up? I need to investigate this a little further.
Thanks for the feedback.

Old 05-29-2012 | 07:19 PM
stevefxdi
Cruiser

i had a clicking noise in my 2006 roadking that would come and go, finally the inner fromt cam bearing came apart, had to buy an oil pump, cam plate, cams, and lifters, dont let the noise go pull that cam plate off and check everything, had 30,000 miles on mine and the cam chain tensioners were fine, i also had to split my crank case to get all the needle bearings out

Old 05-30-2012 | 06:43 AM
Randald
Stage I

I have a "clicking or knocking noise" with my bike aswell, i checked the compensator, and the tensioner, Still cant figure it out. But mine goes away above idle

Old 05-30-2012 | 07:03 AM
prodrag1320
Banned

i wouldnt ride it till i checked it out,its either the inner bearing,loosing a roller or tensioner failure,any of witch will get REAL expensive real quik if not attended to

Old 05-30-2012 | 08:48 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Community Team

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
i wouldnt ride it till i checked it out,its either the inner bearing,loosing a roller or tensioner failure,any of witch will get REAL expensive real quik if not attended to
Best heed these words of wisdom or hang on to you wallet.

Old 05-31-2012 | 04:37 PM
BuddyinStL
Intermediate
Angry

I would listen to these guys. Picking up my bike tomorrow after I fork over $1100. Inner and outer Cam chains, tensioners, inner front cam bearing , oil pump, hydraulic cam plate....I'll see the parts tomorrow, but I'm bummed right now.

Last edited by BuddyinStL; 05-31-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-31-2012 | 04:41 PM
Big Trev
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Randald
I have a "clicking or knocking noise" with my bike aswell, i checked the compensator, and the tensioner, Still cant figure it out. But mine goes away above idle
Hydraulic lifters,been there and done that on a mates bike last week

Quick Reply: Clicking noise on cam side of motor.