Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

ACR Troubleshooting Info

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 10:40 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default ACR Troubleshooting Info

Anyone have troubleshooting information on the H-D ACRs? I finally have my 103" conversion ready to ride, but it is very difficult to start, well impossible. I don't think the ACRs are opening on startup.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:27 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I am assuming you enabled them.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:56 AM
harley_jeff
Road Master

Originally Posted by qtrracer
I am assuming you enabled them.
Well, I installed the solenoids into the heads. I also installed a wire harness from the electrical caddy to the solenoids. The harness provides power and it also had a wire that went to pin 15 on the ECM connector. My conclusion on the way it works is when you press the starter switch, pin 15 goes to ground and this completes the circuit to energize the ACR solenoid. The documentation that came with the SE ACR wire harness only depicted the harness installation, it did not discuss 'enabling' of the system. Can you provide more details on this process?

Note, that I have a T-Max ECM, Zippers told me it is compatible with the ACRs. However, I disconnected one of the ACR plugs. I inserted a piece of wire inserted into each socket to attach a voltmeter probe. I then hit the starter button (with the starter motor connector disconnected) and neither pin is going low, so I don't think pin 15 on the ECM is going low.

Last edited by harley_jeff; 05-12-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:14 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by harley_jeff
Well, I installed the solenoids into the heads. I also installed a wire harness from the electrical caddy to the solenoids. The harness provides power and it also had a wire that went to pin 15 on the ECM connector. My conclusion on the way it works is when you press the starter switch, pin 15 goes to ground and this completes the circuit to energize the ACR solenoid. The documentation that came with the SE ACR wire harness only depicted the harness installation, it did not discuss 'enabling' of the system. Can you provide more details on this process?

Note, that I have a T-Max ECM, Zippers told me it is compatible with the ACRs. However, I disconnected one of the ACR plugs. I inserted a piece of wire inserted into each socket to attach a voltmeter probe. I then hit the starter button (with the starter motor connector disconnected) and neither pin is going low, so I don't think pin 15 on the ECM is going low.
When plugged into a Screaming Eagle Pro Race Tuner there is a window that has a box that asks the operator to "enable automatic compression releases?" and there is a box that is default checked to no, you have to check yes. My guess is on a T-Max you will have to plug it into your computer just like you were going to do some tuning and find the area/window that has the "enable automatic compression releases?" and enable them. Other wise just wiring them in as per instructions only gets them ready to be enabled.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:01 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master

I didn't see any place to enable ACRs in the t-max s/w.
That is for the return. That is one mystery. On the power side, the new ACR +V leads gets power from the fuse energized from the system relay, which is only closed for a few seconds after the run switch is closed. I was taught that you close the 'run' switch, wait for the fuel pump to stop/light to go out and then hit the starter button. That does not lok like that is going to work with ACRs due to the 3 second window that have power. What is the correct sequence for starting the engine with ACRs? Is that how the system relay works?

Old 05-12-2012, 05:16 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

I wish I could give you more info. I am running the factory computer w/sepst and the acr's were installed and enabled as per instructions that came with them. Mine seem to be opened with the start button but I never investigated as they worked as designed and have not failed to open.....yet. I will sometimes wait as you described and sometimes not wait for pump and it all seems to work fine.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:53 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master

Originally Posted by qtrracer
I wish I could give you more info. I am running the factory computer w/sepst and the acr's were installed and enabled as per instructions that came with them. Mine seem to be opened with the start button but I never investigated as they worked as designed and have not failed to open.....yet. I will sometimes wait as you described and sometimes not wait for pump and it all seems to work fine.
Thanks for your help. It is a little frustrating because of the lack of available information. I am used to aircraft service manuals, and there is always a section in front of the remove and replace section called "theory of operation" that explains how the system is designed to operate. The H-D shop is pretty good at the R&R part, but there is no description explaining the operation. I stopped by the local dealer today, and they wanted me to bring the bike in - of course. Not very forthcoming on info, however.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:49 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I just installed a set and the directions say do not plug them in until acr's have been enabled or damage to the acr's may occur. Not sure what difference it makes if they aren't working. has to be a setting in the tmax software. Mike

Old 05-12-2012, 08:53 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master

Originally Posted by rmc115
I just installed a set and the directions say do not plug them in until acr's have been enabled or damage to the acr's may occur. Not sure what difference it makes if they aren't working. has to be a setting in the tmax software. Mike
I didn't understand that either - if they are not "enabled" pin 15 on the ECM is going to stay electrically 'open,' right? I disconnected the harness going to the rear ACR and with 12V placed across the two pins the solenoid closed and made a very distinctive sharp sound. So, I know the solenoid itself is working. The problem I believe I have is pin 15 on the ECM is never going to ground. The other question I have has to do with how the system relay works and why the ACR hot leads only stays at 12V for 3 seconds.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:24 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

I just looked at the sheet and it refers to pin 19 not 15 but this is the sheet I just read so I don't know if it is applicable to you or not. http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04441.pdfMaybe I am reading it incorrectly?

Quick Reply: ACR Troubleshooting Info