Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Reverting to stock mufflers, will it hurt tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 12:37 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Reverting to stock mufflers, will it hurt tune

I recently got a 103 set up put together that consists of flat tops, .030 gaskets, SE204 cams, Rush TD's, Jackpot slipons and Ness BS A/C. It was tuned on a dyno using a TTS and it runs better than anybody could imagine but I do not like the sound. Horrible wheezing when you back off the throttle and it is no longer deep, throaty or sounds like there are performance cams in it. I am thinking of installing the stock mufflers only back on. Would this hurt the engine, (I know it probably won't perform as good, 103t / 84hp), in any way?
Thanks

Old 05-01-2012, 12:33 PM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hard to say. Who tuned your motor? Some tuner jockeys will use HD Spark tables, which are over advanced pretty much across the whole load range. As a result, some pipes will sound tinny. Not only that, the motor will run hotter, use more fuel than necessary etc, because in order to reach the A/F numbers you have to add way more fuel than needed because the timing is so far advanced. There are areas of the spark table where it is appropriate to advance it.
If it was an HD tuner that tuned it, you might try an Indy shop. Sorry for the long windedness.
PS...You can still get the same torque and HP numbers too!

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
I recently got a 103 set up put together that consists of flat tops, .030 gaskets, SE204 cams, Rush TD's, Jackpot slipons and Ness BS A/C. It was tuned on a dyno using a TTS and it runs better than anybody could imagine but I do not like the sound. Horrible wheezing when you back off the throttle and it is no longer deep, throaty or sounds like there are performance cams in it. I am thinking of installing the stock mufflers only back on. Would this hurt the engine, (I know it probably won't perform as good, 103t / 84hp), in any way?
Thanks

Old 05-01-2012, 04:30 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by producer
Hard to say. Who tuned your motor? Some tuner jockeys will use HD Spark tables, which are over advanced pretty much across the whole load range. As a result, some pipes will sound tinny. Not only that, the motor will run hotter, use more fuel than necessary etc, because in order to reach the A/F numbers you have to add way more fuel than needed because the timing is so far advanced. There are areas of the spark table where it is appropriate to advance it.
If it was an HD tuner that tuned it, you might try an Indy shop. Sorry for the long windedness.
PS...You can still get the same torque and HP numbers too!
It was tuned well by a local Indy and he did do a lot of spark advancing and retarding at different rpm ranges. He's had several different bikes come through his shop with the 204's and for some reason they sounded different than mine. For that reason I'm pinning the sound on the mufflers, not the tune. The mufflers did sound great with cat in the headpipe and no stage one last year. Thanks for your reply, it helps.