Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

New Motor? Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012 | 10:40 PM
tarheelg00s3
|
Advanced
Default New Motor? Which one?

So, I may need a new motor for my 95 Electra Glide. I just purchased this less than a week ago and knew it had an oil leak. Thinking and looking at it with a friend who also has the same year and model bike we determined that it was a gasket issue and I proceeded with the purchase. I was informed that the motor had been rebuilt and "bored 10 over, and had cams 3 up from stock". I know, I know, I looked at him funny too. Neither of us and no one at HD had heard of that term either. We came to the conclusion that "if" the motor was rebuilt that he may have used the Andrews Evo 51 Cams. Now, this is all speculation at this point, and we will know for sure if the motor was rebuilt as soon as Southern Ohio V-Twin tears into it! (quick plug for Doug)

After a short trip, it was evident that the leak was pretty much more than what I thought. I decided to take it to a mechanic who I trust (Southern Ohio V-Twin), the guy that did the gasket work for my friends 95 Electra, and he informed me that there is a possibility that the jug or where the jug mounts to the motor may be cracked, hence leaking the oil.

This may mean that I will need a new motor, hence in the title.

So my question is (being new to HD and riding road bikes in general) what motor will fit on the bike? I know S&S are great motors and I was thinking of stepping up to the 96ci, but wasn't sure it would fit. Thought of no better place to start than asking the pros here on this site and their opinion as to what you would recommend?! This being my first post/thread, please, if this is a dumb question, let me know.

Looking forward to the responses!!!

Thanks
Matt

Last edited by tarheelg00s3; 04-20-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-21-2012 | 05:37 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

A 96"er will work well, but a 107" would be smoother, with more power yet.
Scott

Old 04-21-2012 | 05:39 AM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member

HD 120R, Jims 131, S&S 124, all with a mild tune...no hot cams, etc.

You'll have stump pulling torque throughout the range, and if you don't race the bike, the engines will laugh at the easy load.

Old 04-21-2012 | 05:48 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

I don't think I'd invest the $$$ for a new motor in a 95 ElectraGlide.

One of the great things about Harleys is that they are repeatedly rebuildable, thanks to the zillions of parts available after market.

Take it apart, determine the problem and replace whats broken. ( Maybe throw in a couple of neat upgrades while you're at it!)

Old 04-21-2012 | 07:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member

S&S 107" here. I had rebuilt my original 1990 Evo to a stroker before changing to my 107", so didn't think a 96" was worth buying. In some ways I wish I had gone much bigger, but as Scott says, it is very smooth and mine has an almost flat torque curve. I more recently fitted a Supermeg 2-into-1 which has really brought out the best in it, from easy running at low revs, to chasing BMWs down the German autobahns!

Scott can wake up a 107" even more, if you find it wanting, but he's on the other side of the World to me!

Last edited by grbrown; 04-21-2012 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Grammar!
Old 04-21-2012 | 08:40 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior

Sounds like you've got some really good options, and a lot will depend upon your budget. Your entire motor doesn't sound to be trashed, so you certainly could replace the needed parts and upgrade what you have to higher displacement, or could go mid-sized with some newer hardware, or go all the way to a really big-inch motor.

If you are going really big, the 120R motors are getting a lot of work and are reputedly one of the best bangs for the buck. Not sure if there are fitment issues, but worth consideration.

If you're going mid pack, as Scott says the 107" is a great place to be.

And if you decide to just replace the broken parts and upgrade in place, you should still be able to match up the replacement components to put together a nice mild solution.

Good luck!
Roger

Old 04-21-2012 | 03:13 PM
tarheelg00s3
|
Advanced
Default Thanks for everything

Wow! This is great information and so much of it! I like the ideas of going bigger!!! I also like the idea of rebuilding and saving money for a new bike down the road. There are a lot of options and a lot to consider. I will know more this week as it is torn in to, and be able to make a better decision then.

I really do appreciate your input and information!

Old 04-21-2012 | 05:04 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member

just fix what is bad.. cylinder, case, a bad gasket can puke a lot of oil in the rite place. even if you need cases, they are available. and a lot cheaper then a new motor

Old 04-21-2012 | 05:11 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Don't overlook the Ultima's, they are the best bang for your buck. Like all the other engine manufacturers they had "teething" problems, but they have them worked out now. I would reccomend a 120" , which is what we are running in our bagger, or perhaps their 124" Bagger engine, which is a torque monster. The boys at Hillside do build a great motor too. If you have any questions PM us and we can answer your questions. Hope this helps.
John

Old 04-21-2012 | 05:14 PM
tkunk
Tourer

Originally Posted by j1mmy
just fix what is bad.. cylinder, case, a bad gasket can puke a lot of oil in the rite place. even if you need cases, they are available. and a lot cheaper then a new motor

yeah, what he said. One of the great things about HD's is the inexpensive complete rebuild. So much available and so reasonably priced. A bud of mine had a 2009 Goldwing, needed a cam position sensor replaced and it was over $1600. Technology can be a beeeaaatch.
Ride the ole common crank, air cooled, pushrod, 45* twin and smile every economical mile

Quick Reply: New Motor? Which one?