Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Can I Swap My S&S 625s for TW 777s

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 08:23 PM
HDCrossbones09
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive been trying to call my builder for two days to find out about my heads and compression with no luck. I really appreciate all you guys advice. Still up in the air on what to do. I agree with some of you guys about having better numbers with my current build and my builder swears it needs a throttle body to make me happy. So I assume if it really gives me the 10 or 15 hp and tq he says it will top end then I may not get out ran coming out of the hole as bad. I always run who ever I play around with (so far) back down then pass them so just kind of sucks it dont happen till the big end but hey If I would have went the other way I would prob be on here saying I bust peoples tail out of the hole then they come back by me...lol. Ill keep you guys posted on what I do. i posted my dyno sheet for you guys because ive been talking about it with out any one seeing it. Thanks again for your help. If you guys think of any other ideas or info let me know!

Attached Thumbnails Can I Swap My S&S 625s for TW 777s-2012-01-07-18.13.45.jpg  
Old 04-18-2012, 08:31 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by HDCrossbones09
Ive been trying to call my builder for two days to find out about my heads and compression with no luck. I really appreciate all you guys advice. Still up in the air on what to do. I agree with some of you guys about having better numbers with my current build and my builder swears it needs a throttle body to make me happy. So I assume if it really gives me the 10 or 15 hp and tq he says it will top end then I may not get out ran coming out of the hole as bad. I always run who ever I play around with (so far) back down then pass them so just kind of sucks it dont happen till the big end but hey If I would have went the other way I would prob be on here saying I bust peoples tail out of the hole then they come back by me...lol. Ill keep you guys posted on what I do. i posted my dyno sheet for you guys because ive been talking about it with out any one seeing it. Thanks again for your help. If you guys think of any other ideas or info let me know!
Invest in a compression tester; Sears has a decent one for about $35 IIRC. Pull a compression test and you can get a good idea of chamber volume and actual compression. It would help if your builder can recollect what head gasket he used.

Dyno chart doesn't look that bad; nice curve, just low numbers. Plenty of guys getting better numbers and better looking curve with 103 with a different combination of parts.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:49 PM
HDCrossbones09
Tourer

Its funny in the beginning I said If I break the 100/100 mark I would be happy. Then I dynoed it and it did............. still not happy..... then I geared it..... still not happy.... i think i have champagne dreams of big hp... on a beer budget...lol... will it ever be enough????

DJL- The compression tester is a great idea. I buy and sell some classic japanese bikes and I need one any way. If I could get in touch with my builder now I could get some more info but his receptionist said they were super busy hopefully he will call by next week. I didnt realise those compression tools were that cheap! Thanks!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:59 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,614 Posts

DJL- The compression tester is a great idea. I buy and sell some classic japanese bikes and I need one any way. If I could get in touch with my builder now I could get some more info but his receptionist said they were super busy hopefully he will call by next week. I didnt realise those compression tools were that cheap! Thanks!
Actually, the Sears kit I was thinking of is about $50; not lab grade but a good tool. Harbor Freight has a similar kit for, I think, about $35-$40 but I would get the Sears unit. You can buy them for much less if you just buy the guage, hose and fitting. But if you need one anyway, the Sears kit comes with a variety of fittings for the various spark plug thread guages.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:38 PM
Joker65
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can also send out your TB to HPinc and get it bored.... for $300. Not the $1000 you stated earlier. Also, if you go with HD injectors, you can get them relatively cheaply as well... around $100-150 at various online HD Dealers.

The 585 cam is popular with some of the drag-race types, and if you look-up WFO Larry (Harley Tech Talk) you'll find he absolutely loves the 585's! Ask him about his record-setting run with it if you talk with him.

Mike Roland's cams (Kuryakyn Wild Things) are also popular with the drag race crowd too.

Good luck!

Old 04-19-2012, 04:30 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Me thinks that 10-15 hp increase from a t/body swap is asking a lot.
Scott

Old 04-19-2012, 04:43 AM
Joker65
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Me thinks that 10-15 hp increase from a t/body swap is asking a lot.
Scott

LOL.... me thinks the same thing.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:35 AM
HDCrossbones09
Tourer

Why do I fell like im pissing in the wind and its blowing back on me???...lol... Still no word from the builder but his idea last time I talked to him was bigger tb and opening up my exhaust. He tuned it with the v&h pro pipe with the baffle in it that the end is capped and he said he wanted to open it up some more. I have two baffles 1 is about 10 inches with the end of the baffle open and holes down it with packing and the other is about 7inches capped with holes and packing. He said he waned to do the tb and drill holes in the capped 1 or cover some of the holes of the open baffle. Any ideas on if this would help or should i just start over lol. And to the guy who said he got a tb for less than 400 then spent 150 for injectors how did I get $1000. Well take that 650 and add a tune and your at 1000 or very close. i feel like 1000 for 5hp is nt so great. Maybe a bottle lol...j/k

Last edited by HDCrossbones09; 04-19-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Joker65
Road Captain

Dude, I was only trying to give you another option....

I've got:
$300 for re-worked TB from HPInc (54mm)
$102 in the 4.89 g/sec inj.

A far cry from $650.... then I sold the previous injectors.

And when you change cams, you're in it for the tune anyway, no matter what.

It sucks to be in your shoes, I know; I was just there. I made a couple sacrifices/comprises but went with good power and a flat torque curve. We'll see where I end up, but haven't found that perfect cam for high compression, immediate torque, high HP, that's long on duration to keep it from grenading on me. When you find it, please let us know.

Until then, it wouldn't hurt to get away from the V&H pipe either. To quote Doc (in Fla), "Door stops and gerbil tunnels!"

Good luck...

Last edited by Joker65; 04-19-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:04 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Your "builder" is peeing down your back and telling you that it's raining. He won't call you back which means 1 of 2 things, 1. either he doesn't know what the hell he is talking about OR 2. You have been bugging the crap outta him and he doesn't want to deal with you any more. Either way, he is a dry hole now, move on.

Quick Reply: Can I Swap My S&S 625s for TW 777s