Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Has anyone upgraded their cam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005 | 08:23 PM
Beefcake
|
Tourer
Default Has anyone upgraded their cam?

I'm thinking about upgrading my cam. Maybe a Crane or an Andrews bolt-on. I'm looking for more of an increase in torque than I am horsepower, although that will go up too. What kind of cam did you put in and what difference did it make? I'm looking for an increase in low to mid-range torque since the majority of my driving is on SoCal roads and freeways. How will the new cam affect high speed driving - such as cross-country trips? I generally don't take the bike past 80 mph's and when I do, it's for a very short time. I already have a Stage One upgrade with a Forcewinder and Thunderheaders.

Mahalo!

Old 07-29-2005 | 10:00 AM
tcfamy
Cruiser
Default RE: Has anyone upgraded their cam?

Luis

I put in a SE203 cam I picked up on Ebay. It was a Screamin Eagle take off with almost no miles. New gears and bearings were installed at the same time. I have the Stage I Air and ECM along with the SE touring slip ons. It is a much smoother and responsive ride now. I do a lot of two up riding and it made a world of difference. I haven't done a dyno run to put any numbers on the improvement, but you can feel it. Only back step was in mileage. I seem to be getting 40-41 on the freeways and 38 around town. Thats a drop of 3-4 mpg from before. I was thinking the ECM isn't right on for the cam and may invest in a power commander to fine tune the set up.

Good luck with your project and ride safe -- Tom

Old 07-29-2005 | 10:57 AM
HDF Tech
Banned

The 203's although a mild cam do make a noted difference in the lower end to mid range. I have them in my bike and I like the idle, not smoothe like the typical FI bikes.

Old 07-29-2005 | 08:49 PM
RudeDog
Road Warrior

You may want to look Here and Here. Hope that helps.

Old 07-30-2005 | 08:15 PM
buckanddot
Cruiser

I put SE 203's in my 95' Road King for the low end power I like for two up riding. Most of the power gain is in the RPM range I typically run in and usually means I don't need to downshift near as much as stock. The 203s kick in @ about 1700 rpm. I have S&S gear drive 510s in my 88' Dyna and they made a real screamer out of er, but you have to run 'er almost to redline on every shift cause the power don't come on till almost 3000 rpm.....but then aint that what Dynas are for?

....don't matter as much who's cam you put in or what lift you use, as much as it does to match the cam to your style of riding. It don't pay to swap cams for a set who's power is in a rpm range you never ride at. For 90% of us, High lift cams are a waste of money, cause we're not drag racers, and we're not road racers.

Old 07-30-2005 | 09:53 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member

I changed out my cams earlier this year as part of a 95" Big Bore upgrade to my Dyna. Went with an SE 251 which works better with my upgrade parts and V&H exahust system. Starts to pull real hardat about 1500 rpm and is still pulling up ast 4000 when I really wind it up. Great choice as part of a complete upgrade, otherwise I'd recommend one of the previously mentioned SE cams with a little less lift.

Gary

Old 08-01-2005 | 12:14 PM
HDWRENCH
Road Master

Well you did not give much info on what you ride how you ride % of two up riding, or what size your current scoot is.

For a bolt in cam for a 88 a 21 or 26 is great. If you decide that you are going to go to 95 latter I would use the 26 over the 21( these are andrews cams- gear drive) If you are 95 and have or are going to build to that with head work the 37 is by far the most popular cam to use. I use this cam with a bolt on 98 inch kit on a regular basis. With out head work tq close to 100 , with heads such as under ground or basiley ,...hp and tq over 100.

Use a 95 htcc kit with a woods tw5g cam and you will get mid 90 for hp and low to mid 100's in the tq range. ( just did one on fri, made 93 hp and 102 tq. FOr conditions for dyno where the worst.)

Use the 98 inch kit and a woods cam with head work and you are over 100hp and in the mid teens for tq.

Now you have to understand these bikes where then tuned on the dyno. One thing is that the SE A/C is only good for the mid 90's level swap out the a/c for a larger unit and the numbers take a good jump. The bagger that I did the htcc kitand a woods tw5 cam was making 88hp and 91 tq. Swapped in a larger a/c retuned the PCIIIUSB and you get over the 100 tq level. A cam like that will hit very hard down low, enough to be able to lift front wheel without trying on a fast 1-2 shift.