Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Heeeelp, piston/engine ID

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012 | 06:28 AM
BHBlacky
|
5th Gear
Default Heeeelp, piston/engine ID

Like I said in my newbie post, this is my first Harley build.
I bought a frame, engine and various parts in order to build a bike(pictured in profile and there it sits)
Anyway the engine which was supposed to be a swap out for a larger displacement seemed fine to my buddy when he bought it. Like he said, it rotated but being the optimist I am I took that with a grain of salt and tore it down as everything is being gone over with a fine toothed comb. When the bikes done I want to ride it not have it become a mechanical hobby.
I pulled the heads and saw a very large gouge down the cylinder wall on the rear jug. Seems the piston circlip had come out and the wristpin had a holiday. Needless to say the cylinder and piston suffered and needed replacing.

I lucked out and found a pair of standard 1340 jugs for $75, bought a set of 10 over pistons for the engine I thought I had, had the cylinders bored and proceeded to reassemble. That's when the problem hit. Wrong piston profile. Before you ask, I rotated by hand.
Yes I did try doubling up on the gaskets etc. No deal. I compounded it by having a buddy locate another set with a different profile and then had the same problem. Call me dumb but willing to learn.

Here's what I'm looking for. Engine ID/year range and correct piston replacement part #.

The engine is FDLS 6049++ Screaming Eagle, The piston, which was 30 over is marked 22768-98. Took the numbers to a local HD dealer and was informed they couldn't help me.

Thanks in advance

BHBlacky

Old 03-25-2012 | 07:29 AM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BHBlacky
Like I said in my newbie post, this is my first Harley build.
I bought a frame, engine and various parts in order to build a bike(pictured in profile and there it sits)
Anyway the engine which was supposed to be a swap out for a larger displacement seemed fine to my buddy when he bought it. Like he said, it rotated but being the optimist I am I took that with a grain of salt and tore it down as everything is being gone over with a fine toothed comb. When the bikes done I want to ride it not have it become a mechanical hobby.
I pulled the heads and saw a very large gouge down the cylinder wall on the rear jug. Seems the piston circlip had come out and the wristpin had a holiday. Needless to say the cylinder and piston suffered and needed replacing.

I lucked out and found a pair of standard 1340 jugs for $75, bought a set of 10 over pistons for the engine I thought I had, had the cylinders bored and proceeded to reassemble. That's when the problem hit. Wrong piston profile. Before you ask, I rotated by hand.
Yes I did try doubling up on the gaskets etc. No deal. I compounded it by having a buddy locate another set with a different profile and then had the same problem. Call me dumb but willing to learn.

Here's what I'm looking for. Engine ID/year range and correct piston replacement part #.

The engine is FDLS 6049++ Screaming Eagle, The piston, which was 30 over is marked 22768-98. Took the numbers to a local HD dealer and was informed they couldn't help me.

Thanks in advance

BHBlacky
Sounds like pure laziness to me, a quick search of your numbers says you had a .030 over size piston for a screaming eagle head, these have a bathtub chamber unlike stock heads, with that said you most likely need a flat tip piston or a piston for your head, can u post some.pics of what you have and.part numbers ? Chad

Old 03-25-2012 | 09:53 AM
BHBBlacky
1st Gear
Default Read!

Edited due to misunderstanding.

Getting beyond this I have googled and tried various sites trying to identify both the correct pistons and engine date etc. I haven't been successfull. That's why I'm here. Hoping someone has advice for me to help find what I need.
In the mean time I dug out the piston and took some pics.

Thanks for anything constructive.

Blacky

Attached Thumbnails Heeeelp, piston/engine ID-img_1145.jpg   Heeeelp, piston/engine ID-img_1144.jpg  

Last edited by BHBBlacky; 03-25-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: photos
Old 03-25-2012 | 10:06 AM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BHBBlacky
Wow, first reply disrespects me.

First off, if you read what you cut and pasted from me in your reply you would see the piston number and the fact that I did state it is 30 over. Second, read again and you will see that I stated it was a Screaming Eagle engine.
Third, I have the pistons I know they have one of the raised profiles and if I took them out of the engine I would know the originals work so I don't need flat or round tops if I want the same profile and compression. What I need is the correct number for the correct profile 10 over.

Getting beyond this I have googled and tried various sites trying to identify both the correct pistons and engine date etc. I haven't been successfull. That's why I'm here. Hoping someone has advice for me to help find what I need.
In the mean time I dug out the piston and took some pics.

Got them to upload but they are not appearing. Will work on it.

Thanks for anything constructive.

Blacky
Blacky, I meant pure laziness on the dealerships part, not yourself, didn't mean to be disrespectful or a jerk, I just wasn't clear , sorry, get them pics posted so I can see what you're working with , chad

Old 03-25-2012 | 10:16 AM
BHBBlacky
1st Gear

Thanks for the clarification Chad.
You seem to have a problem I'm guilty of, not clarifying. Wife beats me up on it all the time. We're cool.

Got the photos up finally. Was trying to upload direct from camera. Doesn't work.

Blacky

Old 03-25-2012 | 10:19 AM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior

Email me your number to byby1966@AOL.com, since you can't.get private messages yet ,