Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

misaligned oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 05:16 PM
ljg
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default misaligned oil pump

Just got done rebuilding my 1999 twin cam. Went with the Andrews gear drive cams along with a Ultima oil pump and cam plate. First ride out started blowing oil out the breathers ( a lot). Opened up the cam cover and realigned the oil pump. Oil level seems to be steady now. Question is how long before it stops blowing oil out the breather vents? Been riding a few miles the last couple of days and oil is still coming out pretty good.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:17 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Originally Posted by ljg
Just got done rebuilding my 1999 twin cam. Went with the Andrews gear drive cams along with a Ultima oil pump and cam plate. First ride out started blowing oil out the breathers ( a lot). Opened up the cam cover and realigned the oil pump. Oil level seems to be steady now. Question is how long before it stops blowing oil out the breather vents? Been riding a few miles the last couple of days and oil is still coming out pretty good.
Who knows? First wrong turn was abandoning the OEM cam plate/pump for aftermarket, particularly Ultima. The OEM hardware is more than adequate for the job. If the oil is still blowing out the breathers, first thing I would do is re-install the OEM cam plate and pump to stop the oil out the breathers. Then, I wouldn't, if you are of a mind, re-install the Ulitma hardware. JMHO.