Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Engine noise after gear drive installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 05:01 PM
fiddledicksr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine noise after gear drive installed

I just installed an Andrews 26G cam in my 04 EG, with new Fueling+ lifters, adjustable pushrods and S&S gear drives. here is my problem, when the bike is cold the engine is quiet no clattering, once warmed up it sounds like loose lifters. When I listen with stethoscope the noise is coming from cams not the valves is there something I should have the dealer who installed check out.

Old 12-23-2006, 05:36 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Engine noise after gear drive installed

Some cams are going to be noisier and lifters as well.Did your bike have the baisley spring or someones elses to boost oil pressure?Could be the tech that did your work esp w/cam plate and oil pump install.Either of these parts could be faulty too.but if ok before cam install,I would check elsewhere first.An oil leak at these areas may be possible and isnt noticed until your bike is hot and fluid is able to flow easier.

Old 12-24-2006, 01:46 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gear drives are inherently noisy. That's just their nature. One of the big reasons H-D used a chain was eliminate the gear noise.

Old 12-24-2006, 02:07 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

my gear drive cams are quieter than the stock chain driven ones...guesss i got lucky....but the post about the leaking cam plate is probly dead on....call steve at www.GMRPerformance.com , he has a fix for 45 bucks...he's got a bore tool that laps the plugs into the bores and stops leaks

Old 12-26-2006, 02:11 AM
fiddledicksr
Cruiser

follow up on the condition, when the bike is cold oil presure is all over the place.

start bike let idle for 2 min's. Oil presure is about 30 psi now increase rpm to 1500 - 2000 oil presure falls off to about 15 psi and when you return to idle oil presure increases to around 55 psi. if you drive the bike and as it warms up the condition clears up except when engine get into heavy traffic where the condition describe aboved starts to occur.

Any thoughts

Old 12-26-2006, 03:16 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Join the club.....I put in 26G's. My top end is dead quiet when it is cold. Once she gets hot, she sounds like a diesel or at least somewhat like a cool old shovel sounds. I listened to others far more knowledgeable than I about the issue and added a Baisley spring, swapped lifter brands, and adjusted pushrods this way and that way. Nothing helped. That was all 12k miles ago. The noise once drove me nuts. However, I don't pay any attention to it now.

I have read several threads on boards like these where guys using 26G's got the same noisy when hot problem.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:00 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

My wife gets noisy when she gots hot, too [8D]

I'm putting in the 26g's with stock plate, Baisley Spring and new lifters from Gaterman Products that I'm going to see how they work. Did you ask if they "correctly" checked gear lash and pinion runout?

Old 12-26-2006, 11:02 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I did mine myself. My noise isn't from pinion runout or gear lash. In those cases you would either get a whine or a click. My noise comes from the lifters. I'll bet his does to. Checking an aluminum engine witha stethescope can have you chasing noises all over the place and sometimes never pinpoint them by listening. Like I said before, I have seen several guys report noisy bikes with 26's.

Old 12-26-2006, 03:05 PM
fiddledicksr
Cruiser

Has any one tried the the Feuling Super pump. Also I am seeing strange oil presures now when cold prior getting hot.

When cold and you start the motor the oil pressure is 30 psi at 1200 rpm , then open the throttle to 2000 rpm and the oil presure falls off to around 10 psi, when you release the throttle oil pressure climbs to almost 50 psi. After it warms up the oil pressure is about 30 psi.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:35 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Terry, that's not right.

Sounds like you've either got a pump that's not properly aligned or a pinched o-ring. If it were me, I'd be looking back in the cam chest.

When it's cold and you just fire it up, you should have max pressure (50~55 with that pump & cold oil). Opening the throttle more while cold should make the pressure increase, NOT decrease.

If it's not oiling properly, that could certainly be a contributing factor to the noise you are reporting. Get it checked out sooner than later!

Quick Reply: Engine noise after gear drive installed