Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Cams without expensive tuner

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 03:41 PM
AK_Rider50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cams without expensive tuner

Am going to install Andrews 48h cams in a stage 1, TC96. The stock cams intake closure is at 30 Deg. and the Andrews closes at 29. I have a Dobeck EJK installed which will handle the increased fuel requirement but am beginning to wonder if I will have problems because I have no way to adjust the timing with the EJK. I am sure I will get better performance if I spend the money for a better tuner but just can't come up with the cash at the moment. Should I hold off on installing the cams or do you think the motor will run satisfactorily (with no damage) with just the added fuel?

Old 03-13-2012, 03:44 PM
blink1968
Road Captain

subscribe

Old 03-13-2012, 04:01 PM
AK_Rider50
Cruiser

???? what are you talking about, subscribe?

Old 03-13-2012, 04:04 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

If he posts on your thread he is subscribed and will get a notification when others post on it. But he has to type something, so he typed "subscribe" After I post I will go to thread tools and unsubscribe as I am not needing be notified further info on it.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:33 PM
blink1968
Road Captain

Originally Posted by blink1968
subscribe
it forwards all comments tony phone via email if I reply to a post

Old 03-13-2012, 05:47 PM
AK_Rider50
Cruiser

OH, I thought there was something I needed to subscribe to that maybe had all the answers!

Old 03-13-2012, 05:59 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't understand for the life of me why someone would go through the expense of adding cams and then not have the bike properly tuned. I think a properly tuned bike with stock cams would out perform a bike with cams and no tune. Tuning is cheeper then cams so why would you do this?

If it was me I wouldn't do cams unless I could dial in the bike for the changes and get the best performance.

The best money you can spend for your bike is to have a quality tuner and have it set up by a recommended dyno tuner. Don't use a canned map have one made for your bike.

I've just done pipes and A/C and gained 15 horsepower....it's in the tuning...

Old 03-13-2012, 11:45 PM
AK_Rider50
Cruiser

Appreciate your input Rooti, maybe you didn't understand the question though. I have a tuner, the Dobeck EJK and with the stage 1 it worked great. Didn't need to take it to a tuner because I could do it myself, something some of us like to do. I don't care what my "numbers" are, at least not enough to pay the $186.00 an hour the dealer charges. I am not aware of anyone else in Anchorage that has a dyno other than the dealer. The folks at Dobeck say the EJK will supply the fuel for the cam I want to install. My question is will the timing for the plug firing be close enough with the new cam for it to run ok. No doubt a good tuner such as a sert, tts etc would work better but I do not have the cash right now to buy, install and dyno one. I do have the time and opportunity to install a cam. Maybe I need to put the cam on a shelf and wait until I can afford a good tuner, maybe before next winter maybe not, but MAYBE I can have the cams installed for this riding season which is pretty short here in Alaska and can enjoy them. I think I can get away with the installation but the one thing I especially enjoy about this forum is there are folks on here who are a whole lot smarter than I am when it comes to Harley motors and I was kinda hoping one of them would chime in and give me a quick education on the subject of ignition timing and cams.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:55 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Install the cams and run it; the stock ignition curve may not be optimal but the engine should run fine, just reset the fuel to give it what it needs. When you have the cash, get a TTS and have the engine tuned for optimum performance and mileage.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:06 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't really consider the Dobeck a tuner as it just adds fuel. (one step above the XEID's)

I really doubt you could do any harm running the cam as stated above...at least it's getting more fuel.

I myself would wait until I could afford the tuner to install the cam...but that's just me and it's not because I think it would hurt the motor...it's because I want to feel the full effect of the mods.

The big challenge for you is going to be a good dyno operator in your area...chances are, the dealer is not it. If not you can try and set it up yourself and probably get it close or you can try one of the "self tuning" tuners.

It's really not about the numbers...it's about having the bike run the best it can. A properly tuned bike will give you more power, but really the best part is in the smoothness and the cruiseability of the bike. I ran the XEID's for 6 months and was pretty happy with the way the bike ran...now that it is properly tuned with the TTS tuner, it is night and day difference.

Quick Reply: Cams without expensive tuner