Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Cams without expensive tuner

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 02:26 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
I don't really consider the Dobeck a tuner as it just adds fuel. (one step above the XEID's)
The Dobeck units are much more than one step above the XiEDs. The XiEDs operate only in closed loop mode. At all other times, the AFR revert to the lean factory setting. The XiEDs are a cheap way to reduce engine heat due to the factory lean AFR settings but are not a tuning device.

With the Dobeck, the user can preset fuel/AFR at six different rpm ranges. If the user should happen to have the latest Dobeck Gen4 unit with the wideband O2 sensors and AFR guage, the user has instant fuel trimming ability and feedback on the vehicles tuning operation.

True, ignition timing cannot be changed but I would bet that if you compare your TTS ignition map with the stock ignition map, you won't see many differences. The "night and day" difference is your engine is now tuned based on load across the rpm range and not just off idle and cruise.

I do not disagree that there is no substitute for a proper dyno tune; no argument there. However, that was not the OPs question. He was questioning whether or not he might experience problems with the Dobeck unit and 48 cams because he could not adjust timing. I believe the answer is no, he will not experience problems and can upgrade the fuel management system in the future should he feel the need.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:26 PM
AK_Rider50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DJL/Rooti - Thanks for your inputs,the more I thought about it the more I thought the timing would be OK but it's always nice to have someone else's point of view. I do plan on getting a TTS, SERT or TMAX when I can. Still kind of up in the air about which one would suite me best. I have an accountance that has the TMax and he loves it but I have read that they everynow and then blank out (don't have another good description for it) but those posts I've read are rather old. Idon't know enough about the SERT or TTS to know if they are something I can adjust or if they need dyno time, dealer pushes the SERT but says it requires about 5 hours on the dyno. My last harley had a magneto and carb but I do think the injection is a better system, just wish I knew more about it and the Electronics that go with it. I'll put up a post and let you know how I like the cams once the snow melts (We're getting more of it right now).

Old 03-14-2012, 03:56 PM
wedjim
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just ordered the same 48H cams and they along with the other needed items will arrive Monday for installation as soon as I can find a day to do it.
Being in the automotive field helps me with understanding a lot of the HD tech, but at the same time some of their info is not easy to find if at all, likely to protect their dealers.
I know in a car that uses closed loop systems you can do air filters and exhaust without much trouble, even mild cams. As long as the fuel trims stay in a given window of adjustability built into the ECM it will run just fine. After all, if this wasn't the case you would have to retune every time you go up in altitude, or down for that matter. Every couple thousand feet in altitude requires different A/F ratios for optimum driveability.

With that said, I wanted to be able to tune MY bike as I wanted, so I went with a PCV and I also ordered an auto tune for it, so that it retains O2 sensor operation for altitude changes on trips. In fact the O2's in this set up are wide bands, far better then the factory sensors(From what i've been reading?).

I'll post my results once I have a few weeks to sort it out and see how well all these items work and how complicated or simple they may be to tune.

I hope you will post your findings here after running the bike without the "mandatory Dyno tuning". Imo, it will probably be surprisingly close with your set up.
After all, some "experts" install an unbaffled muffler that loses 10 ft lbs of torque, but not one has ever said it was slower after! :/

Old 03-15-2012, 09:29 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by AK_Rider50
DJL/Rooti - Thanks for your inputs,the more I thought about it the more I thought the timing would be OK but it's always nice to have someone else's point of view. I do plan on getting a TTS, SERT or TMAX when I can. Still kind of up in the air about which one would suite me best. I have an accountance that has the TMax and he loves it but I have read that they everynow and then blank out (don't have another good description for it) but those posts I've read are rather old. Idon't know enough about the SERT or TTS to know if they are something I can adjust or if they need dyno time, dealer pushes the SERT but says it requires about 5 hours on the dyno. My last harley had a magneto and carb but I do think the injection is a better system, just wish I knew more about it and the Electronics that go with it. I'll put up a post and let you know how I like the cams once the snow melts (We're getting more of it right now).
There are pros and cons for any fuel management system. As for the SERT and TTS; both were developed by Steve Cole. He developed the SERT for the MoCo but when he developed the TTS system, the MoCo wasn't interested, so Steve went his own way and he is TTS. Both are great systems and the main difference between them is that the SERT is not very user friendly, not a system for the DIY guy. The TTS however offers a VTune feature that lets the user collect data while riding and when the map is downloade the cells that need adjusting are hilited. The user can adjust those cells, take another ride, download the map, make adjustments and continue the process until all the hilited cells have been addressed. At that point, the engine is in a high state of tune without dyno time. Fine tuning may be competed on a dyno if one is looking for the last bit of TQ/HP. The TTS tuning manual is very comprehensive and Steve is always available for support. If you get to the point of choosinb between the two, the TTS would probably be a better choice for your situation.

Last edited by djl; 03-15-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:57 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

Yessir - well said! Had a PC III, then a TMax AT, and am now running TTS. PC is a piggyback system, TMax is an ECM replacement, and TTS works with the stock Delphi ECM. The Delphi is an extremely sophisticated device. Primary difference is that the TTS works with the additional component of load, while the others are alpha-n (throttle position and air fuel ratio) tuners... think of it as 3D vs 2D tuning in a simple analogy.

The TTS is extremely reasonably priced, and with the V-Tune capability as DJL said a DIY person can get their tune quite close without having to put it on a dyno if they're not inclined.

Roger

R