Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Oil leak under rear-left corner cylinder body

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 AM
magnethead
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak under rear-left corner cylinder body

Hi Guys,
This may not be a problem but I just wanted to passit by the experts first. there appears to be a leak on the rear cylinder, just under what I think is where the cylinder body touch the crank case. It is in the back left corner, and is seeping oil into a bit just behind it. There has been a bit of a build in there for a while, but I never noticed it seeping from that corner before. Please see the pic

Is this something to worry about? I remember I had a leak coming from the push rods on the right hand side of the front cylinder and one of the guys here told me just to tighten up the bolt which indeed fixed the problem. But I don't see how this corner gets tighened unless the engine is apart. As you can see th oil is built up under the starter motor there.

What do you think? If you need more details just ask and I'll put them up.

It is a 09 Sportster Iron, and I lean on the throttle all the time. It's using a power commander 5, with short shots and K&N air intake.

Please tell me this is as much trouble as a leaking rocker box, and that it is just standard with a Harley, so nothing to worry about ;p I probably should tell you that the local stealer mentioned that he could here "knocking" in the rear cylinder, but I'm nearly 100% he was trying to get some money outta me by using scare tactics, surely "knocking" would be very apparant??

Thanks
Nathan

Last edited by magnethead; 03-05-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Jethro
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Common area for a leak. I don't think tightening the top end would fix this, I assume it is a gasket, and in fact, oil draining "pools" in that area. But I want to say that this does not qualify for a leak in my opinion. You are weeping oil, and from your description it is not even leaving drips beneath the bike. I believe it will eventually leak, but for me, this is a non event. I only work hunting down and fixing leaks: meaning, you ride, come back, and after the bike sits over an hour you have actual oil beneath the bike. Having said that, eventually that area probably will leak, but you might as well ride and enjoy, then couple this "repair" in the future with some fun stuff, like new pistons, cam shaft, etc.. I want to also say that you need to make sure and give your bike some warm up time before hauling *** in it.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Nor Cal Mafia
Cruiser

Its normal just a base gasket leak..pretty common..you should just wait a while then break it down and do both of them at the same time as youll have to get the cylinders off..

Old 03-06-2012, 03:54 AM
magnethead
Intermediate

Thanks for your replies guys, I'm only good with basic stuff like changing the gas tank, new pipes..etc.. When it comes to the engine, I stear clear.

Ok, so I like the idea of not worrying about it, my rocker boxes both "weep" too, Is there any way you can estimate how long I would get before the engine needs to be taken apart to replace those gaskets (I know it probably depends on heaps of varibles)...but are you saying I should wait until there is a good flow on it ;p

There's no way I would attempt this engine work myself, so it will probably cost me plenty

Old 03-25-2012, 04:52 PM
magnethead
Intermediate

Sorry to dig this thread up again, but I've only just had a think about this, Would the nut at the top of this cylinder fix my problem? I had similar luck when I had a "Push Rod" leak on the other side of the engine, please refer here for pictures, It's the second picture down from the start of the thread https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...crankcase.html

Here is the nut I'm talking about, at the top of the Engine. I know nothing about engines, so that's where I'm coming from.

Last edited by magnethead; 03-25-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:03 PM
cobaltt
Road Captain
Received 136 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
Sorry to dig this thread up again, but I've only just had a think about this, Would the nut at the top of this cylinder fix my problem? I had similar luck when I had a "Push Rod" leak on the other side of the engine, please refer here for pictures, It's the second picture down from the start of the thread https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...crankcase.html

Here is the nut I'm talking about, at the top of the Engine. I know nothing about engines, so that's where I'm coming from.

in that picture, behind the jug, is than the trans vent tube? are you sure thats not causing your leak?

Old 03-25-2012, 07:59 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,224 Likes on 1,609 Posts

The nut in your photo is one of four head bolts. The leak, or seeping is occuring at the oil return dowel; an o-ring is seated at the base of the oil return dowel. There is a cylinder bas o-ring that seals the cylinder to the case. The oil return dowel is located outside the cylinder bas o-ring. I suspect the leak is coming from that oil return dowel and the o-ring is not doing it's job. It wouldn't hurt to check the torque, engine hot, of that head bolt. If it is not up to spec, I would be wondering about the other three. You have access to one of them but the others are under the rocker box which would require removing to gain access to the other two head bolts. Like I said, it won't hurt to check the torque on that head bolt but I doubt that will solve the problem

Old 03-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Jethro
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey bud... Honest, this is not a leak to worry about. Also, those cylinder bolts have a specific torque sequence, both in foot pounds and in ORDER of tightening. If you wanted to test if any of the four bolts were loose, you need to take off the rocker box covers. Actually, you start at the battery, then the gas tank, which includes the VOES vacuum line, the fuel crossover line, etc etc etc. What I'm saying is this, you don't seem to have the mechanic inclination to start this project. BUT, you can learn it if you are determined.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:39 AM
magnethead
Intermediate

ok, Thanks for your replies, I thought it was worth a shot. looks like I can relax, like the leaky rocker boxes that have been on my bike since the start 3 years ago. Leaks aren't worth worrying about unless they're gushing

Old 03-27-2012, 05:37 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

If your flogging that, prior to the engine coming to full operating temps, then that very well could be the root cause of this weep/seep.
When/if you attend to this, use Cometic gaskets/seals.
Scott

Quick Reply: Oil leak under rear-left corner cylinder body