Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

My carb's a mess...what should I do with it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior
Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts
Default My carb's a mess...what should I do with it?

Ok, I have had my '90 1200 Sporty for three weeks now, and I still haven't ridden it other than back to my house, but it did run pretty well on that ride. Bike has 2k miles on it and was garage kept, original owner purchase. After installing the DIY air cleaner, and drilling out the factory slip ons, the bike ran like hell at and off idle. No worries, figured it needed a jetting, so I pulled the carb off this morning and shuddered. Lots of shmootz in the carb, not varnish, but thin sludge. Sprayed right out with carb cleaner. I discovered a 175 main jet in there but haven't gotten the idle jet out yet. The Sorgy's kit I got came with a 175 main jet as an upgrade...what's up with that? The bike was bone stock when I got it, but someone was in the carb at one point, as one of the danged float bolt screws was gone and another was stripped. It's amazing it didn't leak.

I pulled the accelerator pump apart and the diaphragm is destroyed from age, so I want to order a basic rebuild kit for this thing and get it together. Is the $12 ebay kit all I need? Stick with the 175 jet? Sorgys sent me a 46 low jet, but again I don't know what's in there yet. Anything else I should do while this is apart? I'd hoped to ride it this weekend but that's not gonna happen. Maybe next weekend...

Old 03-03-2012, 06:40 PM
DaveCarlson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A '90 with 2K? Man that carb is going to need a thorough cleaning. I would take it all apart and soak it in some diluted Pine-Sol and the then get my compressor fired up and blow out all the passageways. Next get a complete re-build kit and go from there. It's not a hard job, especially if you get yourself a manual.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:10 PM
lieutenant G
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveCarlson
A '90 with 2K? Man that carb is going to need a thorough cleaning. I would take it all apart and soak it in some diluted Pine-Sol and the then get my compressor fired up and blow out all the passageways. Next get a complete re-build kit and go from there. It's not a hard job, especially if you get yourself a manual.

x2, an air compressor is a must. Iv never been able to get one clean with out it. Never heard of pinesol...Iv always spent $20 on El-Cheapo carb cleaner and soaked it in that. either way what ever works.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior

Oddly, the carb is not varnished, but it has sludge kinda like a glass you leave in the kitchen sink too long. Well, before I got married anyway.

I have the manual, but it sucks. Told me to take the intake manifold off to remove the carb, rather than just tug it out of the boot. Also doesn't tell me how to take the throttle cables off so that I can completely remove the carb from the bike. I Do have compressed air.

Here's the kit I'm planning on buying...look complete enough?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-SPORT...sories&vxp=mtr

Old 03-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

complete rebuild and very thorough cleaning as stated above, take your time, get it right. 22 yr old bike with 2k on the odometer probably sat around with gas in it all those years and is in poor shape. heck id take the tank off and do a very thorough cleaning there as well.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:07 AM
DaveCarlson
Cruiser

The kit from ebay looks like it has what you'll need along with the jet kit you already have. Google CV carb...lots of videos and how to's on line to help you out.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Wakko47
Road Warrior

Thanks, Dave. I went ahead and ordered it. Great idea on the google vids.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:04 PM
DaveCarlson
Cruiser

Glad to help. Make sure you take a look at any gasket, seals, boots on the manifold as well. A bike sitting for that amount of time...they are most likely toast as well. Intake leaks can get you chasing your tail pretty quick. As long as you have the carb off, you might as well replace them too, do the job right the first time and you won't have to think about it for a long time. Good luck, keep us posted!