Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Vapor Lock?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 11:52 PM
indianabear
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vapor Lock?

I have a 98 heritage springer 1340 carb. Just got the thing rebuilt about 800 miles ago. When I ride for 30 to 40 miles and then shut it off for a few minutes and get back on it has died on three occassions after running for about 5 minutes. Every time it has died I have been putting around at slow speeds and low revs after the restart. It is like it is running out of fuel. I sit for about 10 minutes put the choke on and off I go. I drilled out the baffels in the diaphram in the gas cap to allow more air but it has did it once since then. Getting ready to leave for sturgis don't want problems. Any suggestions.

Old 07-26-2005, 01:47 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Vapor Lock?

Sounds like your low speed idle circuits might be clogged somewhat or maybe some trash/water in the float bowl. Other thing could be a sticking float. What was rebuilt, the engine or carb?

John TN

Old 07-26-2005, 10:23 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Got to go with John here, sounds like a carb cleanout is in order.

Old 07-27-2005, 08:45 PM
indianabear
1st Gear

It was the engine. Did it again last night. Rode 30 miles shut off for 5 minutes ran great. Rode 30 miles shut off for 1 hour ran great. Rode 30 miles shut off for 15 minutes, started up ran for about 2 blocks and died as if it ran out of gas. Wouldn't start for about 35 minutes then ran great. Puzzled!!!!

Old 07-28-2005, 11:43 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

What was rebuilt on the engine, top end? Do you have adjustable push rods, It could be a lot of things, but let's start with what was done on the rebuild, it might factor in on what's going on with the bike.

John TN

Old 07-28-2005, 10:50 PM
indianabear
1st Gear

yes it was the engine that was rebuilt both top and bottom. Yes, it does have adjustable pushrods. The motor has almost everything new on the inside at pretty well stock specs.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:03 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

O-k if you know how to check and adjust the pushrods properly, this is what I would do first or have someone check it that can, they can loosen and lose the correct lifter preload adjustment especially when they are new. Check this out and let us know what's going on.

John TN

Old 07-29-2005, 10:55 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

John makes a good point here, those adjustables have been known to give more than one person a problem when they loosen up.

Old 07-29-2005, 03:16 PM
indianabear
1st Gear

Just a question. If the lifters are suspect why would it only do it when I have stopped for 10 minutes or so and then when it cools off it starts. Wouldn't it do it all the time? It has never quit on me while riding just when I stop for 15 minutes and then go again.

Old 07-29-2005, 05:28 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

If you don't have solid lifters, (I'm assuming you don't) then you have hydraulic lifters, hence the never have to adjust the valves. The hydraulic lifters have to pump up to keep the same pressure from the push rods to the valve rocker arms at higher rpms, we are also talking about the push rods, say if they were'nt properly adjusted then the valves will open too far or not enough, throw in more than one out of adjustment and it can cause all kinds of poor engine performance or engine damage. Basically the lifters have a set amount of preload on them from the push rod adjustment. Not enough preload, problem, too much preload, problem.

I'm not saying this is your problem, but it is where I would start looking first, as the adjustable push rods can cause this kind of problem especially when recently installed.

If this is'nt it then it might be an electric problem that when cooled down will function properly, such as a bad coil might do.

First things first, check the push rods. You will have to eliminate one thing at a time until you find what's causing your problem.

John TN

Quick Reply: Vapor Lock?