Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

TW6-6 Cams, build? input thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 02:16 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default TW6-6 Cams, build? input thoughts?

As many of you know, I have my cam chest opened up at the moment and getting ready to open the top end. What the hell lets do a mild build for TQ numbers!

I have a set of Tw6-6 Cams sitting around, and thinking of putting them in with a dynojet PC3 USB, Would I need to install new springs to work with the lift of TW6 Cams?

What else would need to be changed out to match up with the TW6 cams?

I'm going to talk with my indy to find out just what parts he used when he did the top end valve work last year.

Thanks

Old 02-16-2012, 02:40 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,605 Posts

The TW 6 has a 40* intake close and lift of .510". No issues with lift or the OEM valve springs. However, if the chamber volume is still 85cc-86cc, you will need to bring that down to about 80cc or change out flat top pistons for pistons with a 5cc-6cc dome to get the compression up. The Woods cams need lots of compression to be happy.

IIRC, your bike is a 2000 model and, according to a separate post, you are considering "putting the TW6-6 cams back in" which means you have run them before? So, if they have been run before, you shouldn't have any issues running them again? Woods cams have been known to generate some valve train noise but, if you have run them before, you know about that.

Last edited by djl; 02-17-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:08 PM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't the TW6 for the 99-05 and the TW6-6 for 06-up?

Old 02-16-2012, 04:19 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Yes, it is; should have pointed that out; my bad. Assumed he was referring to the TW6 since his bike is a 2000 model and he refers to the TW6 twice and the 6-6 once; figured it a typo. The specs are the same and posted comments about lift and intake close apply.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:19 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Yes, it is; should have pointed that out; my bad. Assumed he was referring to the TW6 since his bike is a 2000 model and he refers to the TW6 twice and the 6-6 once; figured it a typo and ignored. The specs are the same and posted comments about lift and intake close apply.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:23 PM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What bike is he working on then?

Old 02-16-2012, 04:43 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by JohnC FXDX
What bike is he working on then?
I think he is working on a 2000 model; high mileage, 96K miles with a top end build 1200 miles back. The top end work included the SE Hybrid cam plate upgrade and some other mods like adjustable pushrods and cams he refers to as "chevy cams". There may be other details of the top end re-build that have not been revealed yet. He has posted four threads in the past couple of days that started with noise and now has morphed into a re-build. I have had a hard time keeping up with the changing theme of his posts.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by TO34
As many of you know, I have my cam chest opened up at the moment and getting ready to open the top end. What the hell lets do a mild build for TQ numbers!

I have a set of Tw6-6 Cams sitting around, and thinking of putting them in with a dynojet PC3 USB, Would I need to install new springs to work with the lift of TW6 Cams?

What else would need to be changed out to match up with the TW6 cams?

I'm going to talk with my indy to find out just what parts he used when he did the top end valve work last year.

Thanks
TW-6 for early silent chains.
TW-6-6 for the hydraulic counterparts.
No springs needed.
10.0-10.3 cr.
We've worked that cam since the mid-ninetys.(W-6)
Always a home run, set up correctly.
Scott

Old 02-16-2012, 05:01 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
TW-6 for early silent chains.
TW-6-6 for the hydraulic counterparts.
And TW-6-6-R for the conversion folks....... just to add more confusion......

Old 02-16-2012, 05:41 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

1st I'm really sorry for any confusion, the back story to this bike. Its a 2000 Ultra that was sold to me bone stock from a dealer. I bought the bike with the purpose of building up the motor.
After a few months of riding the bike and getting a idea of just how different a bagger would be compared to my history with sport bikes. During this time the bike started to make a lot of noise. Took it to a Indy that was well known for good work. There we discovered the SE Cam plate, & TW-6 Woods Cam had been installed. The bike was far from stock. The lifter had failed & one of the valves has stuck slightly in the up (closed) position causing a noising pushrod too. There is a stock air cleaner & exhaust ( I checked this with the part numbers.) The indy said that with the woods cam & the stock intake & exhaust and no EFI controller that more then likely caused the valve to stick because of carbon build up.
From what I have read any sort of cam needs remapping /efi and improved intake & exhaust to function correctly. I'm headed over to the Indy & see just what parts he used for the rebuild of the top end. Once more I really want to say sorry for any sort of confusion. I just checked the cams & they are TW-6 (yes that was a typo tw-6-6)

Quick Reply: TW6-6 Cams, build? input thoughts?