Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Engine stoped and engine check lamp came on

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 09:25 PM
markkoby
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine stoped and engine check lamp came on

HI,
I have a 09 FXDL and today I had the engine check lamp come on when riding home for about 16 miles. When home checked the manual and said I must take bike to Dealer. I started the bike again, the engine check light came on and of in four second like it always does when you switch the off/run switch to run. When I hit the start switch it fired up good but the engine check lamp came on and off for about 2 seconds. Then I rode to get some fuel and to check if the engine check lamp comes on. The light did not come on but the engine just stoped about 1 mile from home. Rolled down hill to petrol station filled up and the bike started good and rode home. In the last month the bike sometimes strugles a little to start and sometimes sraight away. Could the battry be on its way, and the engine check lamp on speedo gauge means what? I like to fix the problem myself but would like some opinions.
Thanks

Old 02-11-2012, 10:50 PM
jurgie
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by markkoby
HI,
I have a 09 FXDL and today I had the engine check lamp come on when riding home for about 16 miles. When home checked the manual and said I must take bike to Dealer. I started the bike again, the engine check light came on and of in four second like it always does when you switch the off/run switch to run. When I hit the start switch it fired up good but the engine check lamp came on and off for about 2 seconds. Then I rode to get some fuel and to check if the engine check lamp comes on. The light did not come on but the engine just stoped about 1 mile from home. Rolled down hill to petrol station filled up and the bike started good and rode home. In the last month the bike sometimes strugles a little to start and sometimes sraight away. Could the battry be on its way, and the engine check lamp on speedo gauge means what? I like to fix the problem myself but would like some opinions.
Thanks
check your codes go to code section. on my bike i have switch on side of console i hold in on turn the ingation on and if there is a code it will come up so you can troubleshoot.sure its not the fuel lite.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:55 PM
jurgie
Tourer

HI,
Thanks
go to electrcal ecm section on this page there is a sticky on the top of page on codes and retrieving them

Old 02-11-2012, 11:18 PM
markkoby
Tourer

It's not the fuel light it had about two litres of fuel when I got to the fuel station. About three hours ago when I got back from the fuel station I tried to start the bike, and wan't start. I will try and work out how to get the service code and will let you guys know what I find .
Thanks

Old 02-11-2012, 11:49 PM
markkoby
Tourer

I have the 09 FXDL owners manual and the 09 Dyna service manual.
I had quick look and cant find anything about trouble shooting codes. I pushed the black button on the side of the console and only showes A miles, B miles, time, main miles and the tank is nearly full but shows r is low which is the range.
Thanks

Old 02-11-2012, 11:58 PM
markkoby
Tourer

Originally Posted by jurgie
check your codes go to code section. on my bike i have switch on side of console i hold in on turn the ingation on and if there is a code it will come up so you can troubleshoot.sure its not the fuel lite.
I read your post more carefully and I found a code on my console, d1 A9
I have to find what that is unless you know.
Thanks

Old 02-12-2012, 12:43 AM
markkoby
Tourer

OK did a sherlock homes,
Found three codes:
PO261 which is Front injector open/low
PO263 which is rear injector open/low
PO1003 which is System relay contacts open

Anyboby with any idea where to start would be helpful and bike will not start.
Thanks

Old 02-12-2012, 05:58 AM
markkoby
Tourer

Found the problem, the system relay was sticky. I pulled it apart and sprayed silicon lube inside the relay and now it starts instantly. Funny thing was there was no corrosion anywhere and for a few months back the bike used to sometimes kick over a few times before firing. The relay switch is metal to metal and must of had trouble closing. I will also carry spare relay's on the bike on big trips. I would have saved a few bucks for not taking it to a dealer.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:55 AM
jurgie
Tourer

Found the problem, the system relay was sticky. I pulled it apart and sprayed silicon lube inside the relay and now it starts instantly. Funny thing was there was no corrosion anywhere and for a few months back the bike used to sometimes kick over a few times before firing. The relay switch is metal to metal and must of had trouble closing. I will also carry spare relay's on the bike on big trips. I would have saved a few bucks for not taking it to a dealer.
electrical contact cleaner I this same problem well you got it good job.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:34 AM
markkoby
Tourer

Originally Posted by jurgie
electrical contact cleaner I this same problem well you got it good job.
Yeah very happy, and would like to give a big thanks to your help in pointing me in the right direction.
Thanks again