Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Anyone running the NGK Spark Plugs DCPR7EIX - NGK Iridium

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 06:59 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't have a thorough ubderstanding of how the ion sensing ignition system works, but it is not particular to HD. At least several auto mfrs are using it. After combustion there are ions that remain in the combustion chamber, with different types or numbers of ions if preignition occurs. The plugs are fired post combustion and the current or voltage it takes for the spark to jump the gap is measured by the ignition system. This determines the number or type of ions remaining in the chamber and therefore whether or not preignition has occurred. As long as the plugs require the same voltage or current as the stockers they're compatible. This is roughly the explanation I got from NGK (the errors and "approximations" are mine, not the tech's who explained it to me).

Old 07-22-2012, 07:05 AM
LimitedLou
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dcpr8eix

I used these in my 2010 FLHTK, worked fine. Really felt No difference from stock plugs. Their supposed to fire better and last longer. I also put the DCPR7EIX in my 2002 FLSTS. Again felt No difference from stock plugs. So is it worth the extra $$. ?? I believe the longevety will pay for it self... TMO.......

Old 07-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Billyram
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

In a vehicle that the plugs are very hard to get to like in most new automobiles I would use the longest lasting plugs available. $10 or more a piece may be worth it. In my FXDC I don't see the point in using anything other than the good for 20K $3.95 stock plugs. Now Harley doesn't make their own plugs. They are rebranded plugs with nothing I can see special about them. A spark plug does the same thing no matter what engine it's in. It delivers a spark to ignite the fuel mixture in a combustion chamber with out interfering with RF signals. So our engines will run fine with what flavor plugs we put in them as long as they are the right length and heat range. To keep things simple I'll just stick with the $3.95 Harley plugs. It only takes 2 anyway.
Billy

The following users liked this post:
jp2code (09-28-2020)
Old 07-22-2012, 07:52 PM
bgdv1
Road Master
Received 223 Likes on 70 Posts

yep put them in my bike and rode alittle over 200 miles in 95* heat and bike was pinging. never had that problem prior. came home that evening and pulled plugs and cleaned stockers and put them back in and NO ping !

Old 10-08-2012, 07:16 PM
wyatt_earp
6th Gear
Default DCPR7EIX NGK IRIDIUM SPARK PLUG FOR 2011 HARLEY 103 ci

I know this is an old thread, but installed a set today in my 103 and WOW!!!!!!! what a difference. I highly recommend them.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:15 PM
IncognitoProducts
Banned

Originally Posted by wyatt_earp
I know this is an old thread, but installed a set today in my 103 and WOW!!!!!!! what a difference. I highly recommend them.
If you think the NGK was impressive... you should try Pulstar Pulse Plug p/n he1it please visit my website at http://www.Pulstar-IncognitoProducts.com for more info & to purchase. Thank You very much.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:09 PM
IncognitoProducts
Banned

Originally Posted by wyatt_earp
wyatt_earp, I noticed that you live in the Dallas, TX area. So do I, you can get Pulstar Pulse Plugs at Stroker's Dallas. they have been a dealer of mine for over 1 1/2 years. You need part # he1it. Here is my web site, my TEXAS friend http://www.Pulstar-IncognitoProducts.com
Thanks, have a great day.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Use stock plugs. They are designed to work with the knock sensing function and since fuel is hit and miss that's something I wouldn't mess around with.
Stock or screaming eagle.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:47 PM
IncognitoProducts
Banned

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Use stock plugs. They are designed to work with the knock sensing function and since fuel is hit and miss that's something I wouldn't mess around with.
Stock or screaming eagle.
You are aware that NGK makes the screaming eagle Plugs, for HD. HD also does not make their own oil or filters, either. There is also no such thing as a Motorcycle only or a automotive only Spark-Plug! Your bike is nowhere as complicated as current cars or trucks. HD has too many of you terrified of using anything but stock or OEM. They were also totally against synthetic oil until the Twin-Cam engine cam out & they realized how much money they were missing out on! HD fixes very few of their own problems... that is why the aftermarket world is so successful! Please take a look at my website and make a educated decision for yourself http://www.Pulstar-IncognitoProducts.com

Thank you. Have a great evening.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

My '05 Twinkie has the iridiums and is carbed. No difference from stockers save that pinging at low revs that was mentioned on hot days, and I have torque cams for my stage II upgrade.
I'll be watching the pulstars, but can't afford to be the guinea pig on this one.

Quick Reply: Anyone running the NGK Spark Plugs DCPR7EIX - NGK Iridium