Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Samson Duals Sound Levels Measured

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:24 AM
TXSailor
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Samson Duals Sound Levels Measured

I recently change out my V&H BSS for some Samson Duals (4 inch mufflers). I was concerened about the noise level of the pipes since I had "toned down" the BSS by wrapping the baffles AND putting in SmartPatrz HardKores.

Here are the results of the Samson's as I measured them today. These are with the "production" baffles ( not the dB Killers) wrapped w/ 1 layer of "welding blanket". I like the tone and sound better, Fuel economy is up, and I don't think they are any louder.

I did not do a SAEJ2825 Noise level test yet.

You can find my measurements on the BSS at:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...big-shots.html

D

Attached Thumbnails Samson Duals Sound Levels Measured-exhaust-wrapped-samson-duals.jpg  
Old 03-21-2012, 10:06 PM
TXSailor
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I did not care for the way the Samson Stock Baffles sounded at road speeds..

That meant I needed to "tune" the sound again because the stock baffles in the Samson's were LOUD (but not as loud as the BSS stock baffles). I wrapped the Samson's but that did not do much. Sort of like my experience with wrapping the BSS baffles. When I pulled them out later, I found that i had blown the packing out in several places even though I had wrapped it in SS wire!!!!

So I needed to add some "quiet" baffles to the rather large (4 inch) high performance Silver Bullets used with the Samson dual headers. BCT said i could put there baffles in the head pipes just in front of the stock baffles but I did not think much of that idea.

I contacted Samson and they said to use their dB Killer Baffles which are pretty expensive..... I bit the bullet (no pun intended) and bought two from Dennis Kirk at decent discount and installed them today.

All I can say is that Samson named these things Correctly!!!! Still has a nice rumble at idle and does "bark" just a little when you roll-on but they are absolutely super at road speeds. They are the perfect match for my Softail bagger now....The table below shows the results measured against all the mods.

Attached Thumbnails Samson Duals Sound Levels Measured-measurement-table.jpg   Samson Duals Sound Levels Measured-measurement-graph.jpg   Samson Duals Sound Levels Measured-exhaust-samson-duals-killer-db.jpg