Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Thunderheader

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 04:58 PM
misterrick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunderheader

Just put a thunderheader on my 06 dyna this weekend. I like the look but am a little concerned. I bought the heatshields but they dont really cover a lot of the pipe. Those of you that have one do they discolor easily or anything.

Old 12-14-2006, 05:40 PM
Tubz
Intermediate
Default RE: Thunderheader

I've got a set on my Dyna. They do discolor past the shields. They sell a third shield that covers the point where the pipes meet, back to the muffler. I decided to wrap them with black exhaust tape. Call me lazy, but, it's less maintenence and doesn't look to bad either.

Great pipes by the way! They sound awsome and are pretty good peformance wise also!

Old 12-15-2006, 02:15 AM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine don't but I have all three heat shields.
But under neath the heat shields a differnt story though. I love mine I wouldn't trade it for anyother.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:50 PM
misterrick
Cruiser

i have all three also i have the two that are close to the heads and then the one where the 2 pipes meet and go into one but there are sections between them that there are no shields. im guessing those are the place most likely to discolor. I guess it dont matter too much but i dont want to be rubbing out all the discoloration all the time. Yes i do love the look of the pipe im just wating to get my pc3 yet. cant wait to get it out and see how it feels.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:55 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: misterrick

i have all three also i have the two that are close to the heads and then the one where the 2 pipes meet and go into one but there are sections between them that there are no shields. im guessing those are the place most likely to discolor. I guess it dont matter too much but i dont want to be rubbing out all the discoloration all the time. Yes i do love the look of the pipe im just wating to get my pc3 yet. cant wait to get it out and see how it feels.

On mine the rear shield covers both pipes and also it goes over the front & rear header shields. Their is no gap between them. Maybe the touring models are different then the Dyna's.
The only thing I ever have to buff out is the at the end of the collector, I use an SOS pad everytime I wash the bike.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:29 PM
slojoh
Road Captain

i had a set on my fatboy for 10 years, yeah they discolor but wtf, sound and perform great