Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Where did my needle bearings go?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 07:19 PM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Where did my needle bearings go?

This is in regards to my '91 FXRP, 40,000 miles. I heard a knocking at low rpm coming off an exit and lost power in the rear cylinder. When I brought the rpms back up over 2000 the knocking became less intense and I regained power in the cylinder I drove it from Wall SD to the Rapid City Harley shop where the diagnosed it as a failed tappet. So I loaded it on a U-Haul and brought it home to further inspect the damage. The dealer gave me the broken pieces in a zip lock bag to make sure I find all the pieces.

When I got it home I managed to find a total of 10 of the 20 needle bearings and all of the lifter block pieces but I have no idea where the other 10 needle bearings went. I presently have the engine disassembled in my garage (cases are split). The entire engine looks just like it should for 40,000 miles none of the internals were affected with the exception of the lifter, lifter block and 1 cam lobe. I blew out all the oil lines, rinsed the oil bag with kerosene, tore down the oil pump (perfect condition). Does anybody have any idea where they could have gone? Could the dealer have inadvertently thrown them out and not said any thing?

Old 07-23-2005, 09:26 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Where do needle bearings go?

Uhhh....

I'm interested to read some of the responses you get from the smart guys. I'd like to Welcome you to the Forum in the meantime...

Mac

Old 07-23-2005, 11:06 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts
Default RE: Where did my needle bearings go?

If you can't find 'em and have the engine down that far, I'd say they disintegrated into little pieces. Have you cut the oil filter apart and inspected it? If everything is as clean as you say, slap 'er back together, and get back on the road.

Old 07-23-2005, 11:35 PM
Johnny
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: pococj

I'd say they disintegrated into little pieces. Have you cut the oil filter apart and inspected it?
I agree, I think they got busted up and went thru the oil system. The larger peices are likely in the filter.

Old 07-24-2005, 12:45 AM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I disected the filter with a die grinder. I had a couple of people tell me they might have dissintigrated but I found it hard to believe something that hard would get chewed up small enough to pass through the oil pump withouut leaving a trace it was ever even there. Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to poke around the forums for a couple weeks and see if I'll like it here. If anyone else has a reply I'd surely like to hear from you.

Nice site Mac!

Old 07-24-2005, 12:49 AM
Markcuda
Banned

I'm going to poke around the forums for a couple weeks and see if I'll like it here.
What? You think you might have doubts. WTF

Old 07-24-2005, 01:04 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

RudeDog,

Welcome hope you enjoy the site.

Hardened metal can get chewed up, especially when gotten too hot and it looses it's temper, or introduced into a thrashing enviroment. Most likely when they dismantled it you did'nt back get all the pieces that came out (might have been a floor drain nearby) if you can't find any more of the needles. If you're satisfied with what you're seeing and have checked the pump and everything else as you said, you should be alright. I would double check again and make sure you left no stone unturned.

Good Luck

John TN

Old 07-24-2005, 08:09 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like you did the right thing.....by tearing it down! hope your rollin real soon!

Old 07-24-2005, 10:21 AM
71 shovelhead
Cruiser

How does the breather bore look? most of the broken small stuff ends up there

Old 07-24-2005, 12:02 PM
JDean
Advanced

I would pull your oil pump off and tear it apart. My 83 Wide Glide did the same thing as you are describing. I installed Jims Big Axis lifters and blocks. After starting the bike up, oil was still blowing out the breather. Some of the needles went into the oil pump gears and sheared the 1/2 moon key. I ended up having to install a new oil pump because it sheared the bigger key on the pinion gear instead of the smaller key on the gear. I had to cut the long shaft going to the pinion gear in order to get the oil pump off. Not a good deal.

Quick Reply: Where did my needle bearings go?