Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Competition Hillside 98" Build vs. Fuel Moto 98" Build - Dyno Maps Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Dewky
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grbrown
I see little merit in the suggestion, although it has so far failed to get a single dyno sheet!

I disagree about different dynos giving different numbers. If each was correctly calibrated and the data extracted done to a uniform standard, such as SAE or DIN, comparisons will be valid. That is the whole purpose of establishing universal standards. It is possible to dyno the same bike in California mid summer and again in Colorado mid winter and get similar figures.
Maybe if you were talking about eddy current dynos such as Superflow but Dynojets...no way.
Riddle me this, how can putting a carbonfibre wheel on the back of your motorcycle increase your engines horsepower?
It cant, but a dynojet will tell you that it does.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewky
Maybe if you were talking about eddy current dynos such as Superflow but Dynojets...no way.
Riddle me this, how can putting a carbonfibre wheel on the back of your motorcycle increase your engines horsepower?
Well in theory it could help rwhp by decreasing rolling resistance. Or decreasing how much hp is lost because it's lighter.
Just throwing out ideas here. It is entirely possible. I wouldn't discount the idea without further investigation.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:33 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts

I don't own and operate a dyno, but if that is possible it seems either they can be misused, or they are not as well regulated as they should be. Why would a manufacturer make and sell a product like a dyno if they are not uniform and comparable? I expect Harley expends a great deal of effort ensuring each bike is as identical as possible, otherwise they wouldn't comply with EPA.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:44 AM
nathanw
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dyno's are calibrated and operated by humans and as long as that's the case there will be differences in the #'s they produce. This is a fact that is inarguable. GRbrown's point is valid and makes perfect sense, but unfortunately isn't the reality.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Dewky
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nathanw
Dyno's are calibrated and operated by humans and as long as that's the case there will be differences in the #'s they produce. This is a fact that is inarguable. GRbrown's point is valid and makes perfect sense, but unfortunately isn't the reality.
Too true, and I have heard that there are some tuners "tricks" for manipulating readings so that difference betwween the baseline and end results are increased.

A dynojet only measures the time it takes to accelerate the drum, a computer then does its black magic and spits out a figure it calls horsepower.
Dynojets are so common that they have become the industry standard and force other types of dyno manufacturers into lying to you by correlating REAL power into dynojet hp, after all, who is going to be happy when the eddy current dyno says you only have 100hp and your buddy with the exact same build gets 130hp on a dynojet.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:14 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow this idea went all to $hit good to see that at least the 2 shops can be logical. I for one wouldn't mind a thread about just 98 builds, parts & over all where the TQ hits & what riding styles each person built up their motor for, a look at the dyno sheet is only a small part of the build.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Crazy Canuck
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Out of left field here... Is it so, that if you have 2 bikes with exactly the same engine, trans, ignition, map etc... Dynoed on the same machine, but one bike has a 300mm rear tire and the other has a 180mm. The bike with the 180mm will show better numbers?

Old 01-05-2012, 03:53 PM
tkunk
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dyno is not measuring engine hp. It is measuring hp to the ground. Yes, other things can determine how much gets to the ground. Which happens to be the most important measurement.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Dewky
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Out of left field here... Is it so, that if you have 2 bikes with exactly the same engine, trans, ignition, map etc... Dynoed on the same machine, but one bike has a 300mm rear tire and the other has a 180mm. The bike with the 180mm will show better numbers?
If that set up is noticeably lighter, then yes it will, as it has less mass to accelerate.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Crazy Canuck
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Makes sence. I was thinking more on the 300mm having more friction. So coming back to the carbon fiber wheel, I'm thinking it would wind up faster due to it's mass weight or will it only go as fast as the mechanics will let it.

If that set up is noticeably lighter, then yes it will, as it has less mass to accelerate.

Quick Reply: Competition Hillside 98" Build vs. Fuel Moto 98" Build - Dyno Maps Please