Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Truth about tru-duals vs factory headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 11:47 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Truth about tru-duals vs factory headers

Ultrakla$$ic
I just completed a build of my 07 Ultra and have installed the Rinehart True Duals. Have gone to 103" and a pretty radical build, so I cant really say how much impact the pipes have and will be dynoing the bike once the snow melts and can get to the dyno shop.

I did build my 03 RKC to 95" with HTCC pistons, heads and Woods TW5G cam and made 102hp, 115 TQ with the same Rinehart True Duals, so dont think they hurt all that much. I will say that due to the flow of the Rineharts, I think you need to have a higher compresion engine with a pretty decent cam and heads to take advantage of the pipes. Nothing wrong with them on a less built engine if that is what you are looking for, they look and sound great.

Edited due to pipe changes:
Well, have now gone way beyond the 103 to 120 and have gone to a two into one. I still like the looks of the TD's but the Rineharts are way too loud, went to a RB Racing 2-1 Blackhole on the 103 and and after going with a true performance build, wanted to get all that I could from the engine for the dollars spent. Sooo, went to a D&D Boarzilla. A Fatcat would have worked as well as a Supertrapp, both 2 into 1's.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:36 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: daltonhg

Ultrakla$$ic
I just completed a build of my 07 Ultra and have installed the Rinehart True Duals. Have gone to 103" and a pretty radical build, so I cant really say how much impact the pipes have and will be dynoing the bike once the snow melts and can get to the dyno shop.

I did build my 03 RKC to 95" with HTCC pistons, heads and Woods TW5G cam and made 102hp, 115 TQ with the same Rinehart True Duals, so dont think they hurt all that much. I will say that due to the flow of the Rineharts, I think you need to have a higher compresion engine with a pretty decent cam and heads to take advantage of the pipes. Nothing wrong with them on a less built engine if that is what you are looking for, they look and sound great.

I cannot bring myself to put a two into one pipe on my bagger, just a personal preference .
Good info!

Pics and dyno info when available please.Seems like it's gonna be a beast of an UltraClassic

Old 04-25-2007, 02:23 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I just installed Vance & Hines true dues on my deluxe running a big bore kit with screamin eagle heads 257 cams roller rockers forged pistons. I was running cycle shack slip ons before the duels. I was concerned about loosing power. i have now put a couple of hundred miles on the bike and i have to say it runs a little better but power wise i would say I gained a touch no dyno involved just the twisting of the throttle

Old 02-02-2008, 06:03 AM
Huey Driver
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate all of the input here, you guys are great and its nice to hear varying opinions. I think we can say that most people dont get the true duals for the performance. People who get true duals get some great positives, less heat on the right side and much better sound due mainly to the left muffler producing 50% of the sound instead of 30%. I know this debate will rage on forever but this can really be summed up by saying that true duals have pro's and con's, the bottom line is if you think the pro's outweigh the con's then you should think about getting the true duals.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:17 PM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have Bassani power curve headers with the megaphones. At the moment I'm running se203 cams in a 95" with no head work and stock compression. My last dyno was 97.4ft lbs/ 81 horses.
The Bassani true duals sound very nice and they did increase my power. Before this I had the SE slip ons with the stock headers. I will never go back.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: producer

I have Bassani power curve headers with the megaphones. At the moment I'm running se203 cams in a 95" with no head work and stock compression. My last dyno was 97.4ft lbs/ 81 horses.
The Bassani true duals sound very nice and they did increase my power. Before this I had the SE slip ons with the stock headers. I will never go back.
Is radiated heat an issue with the added header area on the right side (leg)?

I'm been looking at several headpipes and the Power Curve appeals the most, so far.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:07 PM
2000eaglerider
Intermediate

I have an '08 FLTRI on the way, should pick it up this weekend. I'm going to ride it stock for a month or so. Then I'll decide which system to install.

I see that Thunderheader is now making tru duals also....anyone have any comments about that product?

I'd also like to know if there is anyexperience out there withThundercones slip-ons.

My wife's '03 Road King hasBassani slipons on a stock 88" motor. They sure sound nice, although a bitof popping.

I'm not much into Dyno numbers, just seat of the pants feel.

I'm mighty worried about the heat on the rear cylinder. I know guys who hate their new bikes (Ultras and Road Glides)because of it. I also know others who say its not a problem. I demo'd an '08 FLTR at Street Vibrations in Reno and it didn't seem hot, but now I'm wondering ifthat is becauseit wasn't a CA emissions bike.

I'd consider a two-into-one like Thunderheader or FatCat but I'm guessing that wouldn't solve the heat problem?

Steve D.
Gardnerville NV

Old 03-26-2008, 02:58 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your going to run duels find a tuner that will set each cylinder up,otherwise hes just taking your money.Stepped duels are probably the best if going that way,not sure how many options that leaves ya.The stock head pipes can be cleaned up where the rear enters the r/h side and is good for about 3hp on the top end along with free flowing exh muffs and Sert/PC111/Tmax etc and non factory AC.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Roadjunkie1
Banned

My engine is a "carbed" 01--95ci with pistons, cam and head work. Installed a set of SE slip on's but didn't notice a difference until I installed the Fulsac "true dual" mod. The bike breaths better and runs like a raped ape. I'm sure a good header would perform as well if not better.

http://www.fullsac.com/truedual.html

The bike sounds better and a heck of a lot easier to clean AND less heat on the legs. I don't think it would have made a difference with a stock bike but I am VERY happy with the increased performance.

To each their own

[IMG]local://upfiles/53460/634247F6AADB430DB1D4516D725DA55B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-02-2008, 07:06 AM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very interesting. I may have to look into this, it would be interesting to see what kind of difference in power +/- this makes. I have a friend with a dyno trailer, maybe he will let me do a before and after. Cost effective as well, you get to reuse your slip-ons and still get that heat away from your leg, which is what I am trying to do, in the summer time every little bit helps when sitting at a red light or traffic.

ORIGINAL: Roadjunkie1

My engine is a "carbed" 01--95ci with pistons, cam and head work. Installed a set of SE slip on's but didn't notice a difference until I installed the Fulsac "true dual" mod. The bike breaths better and runs like a raped ape. I'm sure a good header would perform as well if not better.

http://www.fullsac.com/truedual.html

The bike sounds better and a heck of a lot easier to clean AND less heat on the legs. I don't think it would have made a difference with a stock bike but I am VERY happy with the increased performance.

To each their own

[IMG]local://upfiles/53460/634247F6AADB430DB1D4516D725DA55B.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Truth about tru-duals vs factory headers