Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Panhead/shovelhead/Evo

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011 | 03:58 PM
leatherhead
|
Intermediate
Default Panhead/shovelhead/Evo

I may be on wrong the site to ask this question. I searched before asking you guys, but couldn't find much already posted. I want to builder an old dresser but haven't settled on a frame or year yet. I just want to strip it down and make a cool bobber (like everyone else these days I guess) but still have a decent suspension under it. I believe I need to decide on the engine then go after the bike/frame. I have looked at S&S and of course for enough funding I can get a Pan or a shovel head new, but which one is the most reliable, sounds the best, power, and parts accessibility. I figure if S&S sells a new motor parts shouldn't be a problem. So my question is which one of these motors are the best for me.
I have an 09 FLHX to rack up miles on, so this bobber will just be a project bike and something to curse around rallies and hit the bars on. Thanks for any help and if this isn't right site to ask old school questions could any of you point me in the right direction. -- LeatherHead

Old 12-19-2011 | 05:07 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

Of the 3 you have listed in your thread heading, the Evo, would be the most reliable, Shovel, and Pan in that order.
Shovelhead engines, especially if they are a performance-oriented powerplant have the best sound, in my opinion.
Scott