Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

replace rockers/bushings/valve springs while im in there?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 10:31 AM
lieutenant G
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default replace rockers/bushings/valve springs while im in there?

Im taking the winter to inspect and upgrade my 98 fxdl with 80" evo (43k miles) . Im tearing the top end apart this weekend to install Andrews adjustable pushrods so that in a few weeks a can put my Andrews 27 and torrington cam bearing in. I have the ever-common "tick" coming from my front cylinder which is part of the reason im opening the top up ,to inspect.

my question is what are the chances I will need/want to replace valves/valve springs/collars? with the new cam going in, is it a good idea to replace or will the 43k OEM's be fine for another 40k?

also, same question as above applies to rockers/rocker bushings/shafts.

Do these parts (rocker/bushings/shafts;valve springs/collars/valves) typically last a pretty long time?

I feel like there is a low chance they need replaced but figured it would put it out there for the forum. I am not by any means loaded with money but if i have already cracked the rocker box I would like to know if it is suggested to replace.

**side note** when i do the cam, i will absolutely be repacing the cam bearing, breather gear and lifters.**

Last edited by lieutenant G; 12-08-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:38 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by lieutenant G
Im taking the winter to inspect and upgrade my 98 fxdl with 80" evo (43k miles) . Im tearing the top end apart this weekend to install Andrews adjustable pushrods so that in a few weeks a can put my Andrews 27 and torrington cam bearing in. I have the ever-common "tick" coming from my front cylinder which is part of the reason im opening the top up ,to inspect.

my question is what are the chances I will need/want to replace valves/valve springs/collars? with the new cam going in, is it a good idea to replace or will the 43k OEM's be fine for another 40k?

also, same question as above applies to rockers/rocker bushings/shafts.

Do these parts (rocker/bushings/shafts;valve springs/collars/valves) typically last a pretty long time?

I feel like there is a low chance they need replaced but figured it would put it out there for the forum. I am not by any means loaded with money but if i have already cracked the rocker box I would like to know if it is suggested to replace.

**side note** when i do the cam, i will absolutely be repacing the cam bearing, breather gear and lifters.**
Check the clearances, if out of service limits replace. Not likely any of the above referenced items will need replacing with only 43K miles.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:20 PM
lieutenant G
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djl
Check the clearances, if out of service limits replace. Not likely any of the above referenced items will need replacing with only 43K miles.
thanks