Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Ready to put out our patent pending cutout exhaust for Harleys and others.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 01:57 PM
MoparFreak
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

After doing patent research and researching the current products, I know there are mufflers that have butterflys in them that open and close. I just thought they were very expensive and I wondered how long the motors would last inside with the heat and moisture. We wanted to keep the idea initially old school simple, with more advanced methods of opening and closing available down the road. An auto tuner should take care of any tuning issues that could turn up. We are just in the experimental stage now. This is why I am posting to get all your feedback on the idea. It just seems like it could help riders on the fly to keep the exhaust note where they want/need it, depending on the current environment they are in or run into.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:08 PM
MoparFreak
Intermediate
Thumbs up

Update, we hope to have a prototype on a 09 ultra by monday. Thx, Kevin

Old 12-16-2011, 04:37 PM
StreetGeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'Scuse me but this has already been done. See http://www.patriotpipes.com/pipes.html

Old 12-16-2011, 07:54 PM
MoparFreak
Intermediate
Smile

Actually it's not nearly the same. Our prototype does not use a butterfly nor does it have to be electrically operated or the bike stopped to adjust the butterfly. It is old school designed for use with foot or hand control. It could be operated by electric or cable if preferred. We believe our design has a much smoother uninterrupted flow. Also the cost should be significantly less when (and if, testing is starting soon) we release the product. I do appreciate any input/feedback. Kevin

Last edited by MoparFreak; 12-16-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Allenz
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a note:
If you do market your idea you may have to have a disclaimer that this product is for off road use only and not street legal. Most aftermarket pipes do this. I live in Ohio. Below I copied the entire Ohio exhaust law, and there is a portion that prohibits the use of a devise such as yours. It's states "no person shall use a muffler cutout, by-pass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway." I believe most state have a similar law. - Just a thought.

Quote from Ohio's Law:
4513.22 Mufflers.
(A) Every motor vehicle and motorcycle with an internal combustion engine shall at all times be equipped with a muffler which is in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cutout, by-pass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway. Every motorcycle muffler shall be equipped with baffle plates.

No person shall own, operate, or have in the person’s possession any motor vehicle or motorcycle equipped with a device for producing excessive smoke or gas, or so equipped as to permit oil or any other chemical to flow into or upon the exhaust pipe or muffler of such vehicle, or equipped in any other way to produce or emit smoke or dangerous or annoying gases from any portion of such vehicle, other than the ordinary gases emitted by the exhaust of an internal combustion engine under normal operation.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

Amended by 128th General Assembly File No. 9, HB 1, § 101.01, eff. 10/16/2009.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004

Old 12-17-2011, 12:03 PM
MoparFreak
Intermediate
Cool

Absolutely! It's funny how the electric exhaust cutouts are becoming so popular on the classic muscle cars now. The old mr gasket ones never had any warnings!

Old 12-17-2011, 11:00 PM
mike_oh
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Stupid........

Old 12-29-2011, 01:04 PM
MoparFreak
Intermediate
Cool

Well... You learn as you go. I didn't look close enough at the two exhaust systems we were going to swap. I didn't see the one on the bike till I got to the location. we pretty much got the system off the test bike, then I realized that the 02 ports are in different locations... The test bikes openings (which is an 09 ultra) are right at the top of the head pipe. The system (which apparently is an 2010) we modified are right before the cat. BUMMER!!!! Oh Well, I learned a few things on taking the system off. I will post a question about where the locations are per yr.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:56 AM
MoparFreak
Intermediate
Red face

Still in the process of hooking up with the right bike for our testing. Man things sure take awhile sometimes. Hopefully this thursday we get some progress going!

Old 03-26-2012, 02:33 PM
MoparFreak
Intermediate
Lightbulb Finally got our testing done!

We were able to install and test our cutout. We also designed a muffler with our cutout installed and it was a great success! It did what we hoped it would. give a sound level acceptable to the public in quiet mode and a healthy rap and tone in the open mode. Whats awesome is my partner designed this in his workshop! Hope to pst dyno and video fairly soon.

Quick Reply: Ready to put out our patent pending cutout exhaust for Harleys and others.