Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Woods Lifters Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 06:02 AM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Woods Lifters Question

Thinking of putting a better cam in my 2011 Limited 103 and wondered about the opinions of also replacing lifters with Woods directional lifters. I have a Fuelmoto Stage 1 on the bike now. Thinking a medium lift cam like SE-204 or Woods TW-555. I have 10,000 miles on the bike. I see posts of some replacing them and others not. Seems its done more on higher mileage and higher lift cam installs. Is it a requirement or just a good item to do. Does it quiet the valve train down any. Opinions?

Old 12-02-2011, 09:15 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,224 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Woods lifters are precision made hardware. Many have claimed reduced valve train noise; some say not so much. They did reduce valve train noise in my 107" and I will probably use them in my next build as welll. There is not enough mileage on your OEM lifters to justify replacing them but that's your call. There are other options like VThunder and HQ Black Ops that many have had good luck with.

Why not upgrade cams and replace the stock pushrods with adjustables so you can adjust the preload on the OEM lifters and see how that works out. You can replace lifters later if you think that will solve the problem.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:51 PM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks, that is an option that can be done later and significantly reduces the initial cost. Still have not decided if I want to learn to do cams on my almost new Limited. I'm a capable mechanic but not experienced at wrenching on HD's beyond routine bolt on stuff. I've watched the S&S video, read Atrain's post and have a service manual but just do not want to have a problem.

Another question: Saw a post on another site suggesting increasing the preload on the lifters to quiet valve train. Is this advisable and if so how much additional preload distance should be used. Most directions I've seen indicate lifters should be compressed about half of available compression distance when pushrods are adjusted.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:00 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,224 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by TNCarters
Thanks, that is an option that can be done later and significantly reduces the initial cost. Still have not decided if I want to learn to do cams on my almost new Limited. I'm a capable mechanic but not experienced at wrenching on HD's beyond routine bolt on stuff. I've watched the S&S video, read Atrain's post and have a service manual but just do not want to have a problem.

Another question: Saw a post on another site suggesting increasing the preload on the lifters to quiet valve train. Is this advisable and if so how much additional preload distance should be used. Most directions I've seen indicate lifters should be compressed about half of available compression distance when pushrods are adjusted.
Don't be timid about taking on the cam project. It's a good place to start becoming familiar with the bike and the service manual and it's just not that big a job.

You will need to replace the OEM fixed length pushrods with adjustables to increase lifter preload. Increasing lifter preload has helped reduce valve train noise for some but not for others. With adjustable pushrods, you increase preload from .100" (half of the available travel) to .110", .120" or more; it's a trial and error thing. If you increase from .100" to .110" and there is some improvement, try .120" and so on until but you don't want to increase preload much past .150".

Old 12-04-2011, 04:53 PM
WoodsHog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just put a set of Woods tw-555 cams in my buddies 08 Fatbob.We used the stock pushrods and there is no valve train noise at all.We were both really impressed with those cams.Runs like a raped ape!Pulls hard and revs quick.Totally different bike now.