Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Cam only question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:35 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
Really? I don't have any personal experience with the 48, but they look very similar to the 255 and I would have thought they would work well in a stock 96 with the relatively early 29* intake close. I had the 26's in mine and loved them, so I would just assume that the 48 would bring the torque on a little earlier in the same engine. I could be wrong though...
It was not my intent to imply that the 48 won't work well as a cam only upgrade in an otherwise stock 96" engine. On the contrary, it is a good choice; JMHO that it needs more compression to "come to life" in a stock 96. The 48 in a stock 96 with the 29* intake close, stock head gasket, typical deck height, etc. will set corrected compression at about 8.8; 9.3 would be much better. The 255 would set corrected compression at about 9; doesn't sound like much but compression = torque and if you don't spin the engine much past 4000 rpm, the 255 is a great torque cam. Certainly the 48 will be an improvement over the stock cams but a little more compression will make a big difference. Cranking compression would be about 180psi, so no issues there and no compression releases required. Perhaps I should have said that the 48 is a good choice for a cam only upgrade but will work better with a little more compression.

Increasing the bore to 3.875" for a 103" and the corrected compression sets at 9.4; compression releases required with 196 cranking compression. Probably better to use a .040" head gasket in lieu of the .030" suggested in my previous. It would also be important to have your heads ccd to verify chamber volume and, if necessary the chambers could be opened up a tad so the .030" head gasket would work. Also important to note deck height as the typical 96" piston is down in the hole .003-.005". With cranking compression approaching 200psi, all the variables would need to be confirmed.

I don't disagree with the Andrews guy ont the 54 but would run the 48 in a 103 without hesitation.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:47 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
It was not my intent to imply that the 48 won't work well as a cam only upgrade in an otherwise stock 96" engine. On the contrary, it is a good choice; JMHO that it needs more compression to "come to life" in a stock 96. The 48 in a stock 96 with the 29* intake close, stock head gasket, typical deck height, etc. will set corrected compression at about 8.8; 9.3 would be much better. The 255 would set corrected compression at about 9; doesn't sound like much but compression = torque and if you don't spin the engine much past 4000 rpm, the 255 is a great torque cam. Certainly the 48 will be an improvement over the stock cams but a little more compression will make a big difference. Cranking compression would be about 180psi, so no issues there and no compression releases required. Perhaps I should have said that the 48 is a good choice for a cam only upgrade but will work better with a little more compression.

Increasing the bore to 3.875" for a 103" and the corrected compression sets at 9.4; compression releases required with 196 cranking compression. Probably better to use a .040" head gasket in lieu of the .030" suggested in my previous. It would also be important to have your heads ccd to verify chamber volume and, if necessary the chambers could be opened up a tad so the .030" head gasket would work. Also important to note deck height as the typical 96" piston is down in the hole .003-.005". With cranking compression approaching 200psi, all the variables would need to be confirmed.

I don't disagree with the Andrews guy ont the 54 but would run the 48 in a 103 without hesitation.
That makes sense djl. Time to get back on the calculator and figure out my optimum compression for the 204 cams.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:18 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
That makes sense djl. Time to get back on the calculator and figure out my optimum compression for the 204 cams.
Consider using a 4* advance sprocket with the 204 in a stock 96" configuration with stock heads and head gasket. Maybe some 1.7 rockers to get more lift.

If/when dispalcement is increased to 103" you should remove the 4* advance sprocket and run the cam straight up. The 204 has 8* advance ground into the profile and can be tricky to tune with too much compression so check calcs closely and based on my experience with 204 and the fuel available these days. I would keep static compression about 9.6, corrected about 9 and cranking under 190psi; compression releases recommended.

Consider a .036" head gasket in lieu of the .030"; Cometic makes one. You can open up the valve reliefs and/or lay back the chamber walls to increase chamber volume by a couple of ccs.

Or, you could change cams and run the Andrews 37 without all the drama.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:44 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by djl
Consider using a 4* advance sprocket with the 204 in a stock 96" configuration with stock heads and head gasket. Maybe some 1.7 rockers to get more lift.

If/when dispalcement is increased to 103" you should remove the 4* advance sprocket and run the cam straight up. The 204 has 8* advance ground into the profile and can be tricky to tune with too much compression so check calcs closely and based on my experience with 204 and the fuel available these days. I would keep static compression about 9.6, corrected about 9 and cranking under 190psi; compression releases recommended.

Consider a .036" head gasket in lieu of the .030"; Cometic makes one. You can open up the valve reliefs and/or lay back the chamber walls to increase chamber volume by a couple of ccs.

Or, you could change cams and run the Andrews 37 without all the drama.
Too late for a cam change djl, just bought the 204's and they are on their way from Oregon. I understand your numbers and will try to keep the comp down then, I was originally thinking of about 193ccp and 9.3:1 corrected, might be too much eh? Might keep the motor at 96 also.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:11 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Too late for a cam change djl, just bought the 204's and they are on their way from Oregon. I understand your numbers and will try to keep the comp down then, I was originally thinking of about 193ccp and 9.3:1 corrected, might be too much eh? Might keep the motor at 96 also.
Never too late; you can dump the 204s on Ebay and get most of your money back.

I thought you were talking "cam only" upgrade? The only way you get 9.3/193 in a 96" engine is by reducing chamber volume, which means pulling the heads, which begs the question, if the heads are off, why not street port ala BigBoyz and you are 30 minutes and about $300 from 103". What am I missing?

To you point. Static CR would have to be about 9.8 to correspond with the 9.3/193 numbers and, IMHO, that is right on the cusp of the potential for detonation with the 204 cams. The last set of 204s I ran at that compression ran great until August/September when south Texas heats up and she started to ping. If the fuel quality was better, might could have dodged that bullet. Tuned the ping out but then she was a sluggish turd; had to change cams.

If summers in your neck of the woods are not real hot and you have access to a master tuner, you might be OK but me thinks it's a crap shoot and suggest keeping static about 9.6 which will get you 9.1/188psi, still a good runner.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:03 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by djl
Never too late; you can dump the 204s on Ebay and get most of your money back.

I thought you were talking "cam only" upgrade? The only way you get 9.3/193 in a 96" engine is by reducing chamber volume, which means pulling the heads, which begs the question, if the heads are off, why not street port ala BigBoyz and you are 30 minutes and about $300 from 103". What am I missing?

To you point. Static CR would have to be about 9.8 to correspond with the 9.3/193 numbers and, IMHO, that is right on the cusp of the potential for detonation with the 204 cams. The last set of 204s I ran at that compression ran great until August/September when south Texas heats up and she started to ping. If the fuel quality was better, might could have dodged that bullet. Tuned the ping out but then she was a sluggish turd; had to change cams.

If summers in your neck of the woods are not real hot and you have access to a master tuner, you might be OK but me thinks it's a crap shoot and suggest keeping static about 9.6 which will get you 9.1/188psi, still a good runner.
I will stick with those cams, I'm too cheap to flog them and get something else for a little bit more power numbers djl. I do have a new set of 103 pistons also but now you got me thinking that I should in fact stick to a 96 without touching the heads and just poke in a .030 MLS to give a safe amount of squish. I'd love to send the heads down to Boyz but being from Canada that is a huge deal. I really appreciate all your help and info as I'm quite new to this but have a little understanding left over from our drag racing days.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:17 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

I will stick with those cams, I'm too cheap to flog them and get something else for a little bit more power numbers djl. I do have a new set of 103 pistons also but now you got me thinking that I should in fact stick to a 96 without touching the heads and just poke in a .030 MLS to give a safe amount of squish. I'd love to send the heads down to Boyz but being from Canada that is a huge deal. I really appreciate all your help and info as I'm quite new to this but have a little understanding left over from our drag racing days.
I completely missed that you bike is an '07 model; you have a decent set of heads that flow fariy well. No need to send to BigBoyz if you can find a competent machinist that has worked, as in rebuilt, Harley heads. All you need done to those heads to make them perform is a little bowl blending under the valve (no grinding, very little metal removed), a good Serdi or triple angle valve job and, if the guy has the stuff, a 1.94" intake valve. Make surface cleanup pass to true up the head surface and you're in business.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 845 Posts

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll probably do the head gasket, especially as I live at 5,000 feet and cranking pressure shouldn't get too high.

Crazy