Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Cam job parts checklist?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 08:35 AM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cam job parts checklist?

Doing my hydraulic tensioner upgrade sometime over the winter and I need to start getting things together. This is what I know I need, any input is appreciated.
Screaming eagle kit part #25284-08 hydraulic upgrade kit.
Cams
Lifters
Inner cam bearings
Tool to R/R inner bearings
Gaskets. Lifter block, cam cover, rocker cover. Pushrod tube O-rings.
Assorted wrenches
Assembly lube and loctite
Do I need to buy the assortment of six spacers, or can I wait and figure out which one I need and buy it individually?
Patience, time, beer (in moderation of course)
What am I missing?

Old 11-26-2011, 03:57 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,231 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by skully1200
Doing my hydraulic tensioner upgrade sometime over the winter and I need to start getting things together. This is what I know I need, any input is appreciated.
Screaming eagle kit part #25284-08 hydraulic upgrade kit.
Cams
Lifters
Inner cam bearings
Tool to R/R inner bearings
Gaskets. Lifter block, cam cover, rocker cover. Pushrod tube O-rings.
Assorted wrenches
Assembly lube and loctite
Do I need to buy the assortment of six spacers, or can I wait and figure out which one I need and buy it individually?
Patience, time, beer (in moderation of course)
What am I missing?
Don't see service manual; should be the first thing on the list.
Do you have the 25284-08 kit? It is obsolete and some dealers may stock but the kit has been replaced by 25284-11. Assume that the bike is '99-'05 Dyna or '99-'06 Softail or Touring, since you didn't bother to mention what you were working on.
You will need to hold the crank to R/R the pinion bolt and rear cam bolt. There is a plastic block for that or you can stand on the rear brake; the bolts are not that tight; 35# and 25" IIRC.
Don't really need a special R/R tool for the inner cam bearings. Rent the blind hole pulller (with the correct size collet) from AutoZone to remove and use one of the old cams to install. Freeze the bearing over night, coat the boss and the bearing cage with assembly lube and gently bump them in. Install with letters/numbers facing out.
You can use the oven/freezer method to install outer cam bearings on cams and cams into cam plate, otherwise you will need a press.
Didn't see new outer cam bearings.
You do not need the assortment of six spacers and can wait to see which you need but it is unlikely that the dealer will have the spacer that you need. Spend the $20 and have what you need available when you need it. Believe me, once you get that close, you won't want to wait a week to get a spacer.
You did not mention pushrods; assume since you need rocker cover gaskets you are going in from the top and using OEM pushrods? Have the heads been decked? Is the head gasket OEM? What cams? Maybe different base circle? Just checking.
Didn't see torque wrenches; foot pound and inch pound are required, unless the "force" is with you.
Didn't see the two cam plate or scavenge port orings; check the service manual.
Be ready to catch the oil that will run out as soon as the cam cover seal is cracked if you want to avoid a mess.
You will be removing at least the front exhaust, maybe both depending on system, so you should replace exhaust gaskets; suggest the SE stainless units.
I would also replace the snap ring holding the front cam.
Be careful with the two cam cover fasteners at about 7 o'clock and 2 o'clock; the have been know to strip very easily.

That's it for now, if I think of anything else, I will chime in.

Good luck!

Old 11-26-2011, 04:28 PM
skully1200
Road Master

Thanks. I do have the manual, and I do have torque wrenches. I know I will need exhaust gaskets, forgot to mention it. Going in through the top so no need for pushrods. Planning on having my Indy press the cams into the plate. Was under the impression that the cams would come with outer bearings. HQ 0034 cams. If not, I will get those too. Thanks again.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:30 PM
skully1200
Road Master

As far as the oil pump o rings and retaining clips and whatnot I wasn't sure what all comes in the kit as I don't have it yet. But I will make sure I have all that stuff as well.