Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

exhaust advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 01:14 PM
joeybedford
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust advice

Looking to put exhaust ,air intake. And program on 2012 street glide looking for ideas on best stuff tx

Old 11-21-2011, 01:40 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

fuelmotousa.com

Old 11-21-2011, 01:54 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Depends On How Far You'll Be Going

This is my OPINION! -
Choose exhaust based on what you are looking for. - performance - looks - sound Same can be said for air intake. Tuner can be as simple as a V&H Fuelpak (IMHO doesn't get any simpler) or as advanced as SE w/dyno time! There are lots of options in between. The dealers "stage one download" is a waste of time & MONEY!
More advanced tuners will afford you the abitity to make future changes to accomodate for engine changes you may make in the future. I opted for the V&H Fuelpak knowing that I was not going to make further changes.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Rush Racing Products
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joeybedford
Looking to put exhaust ,air intake. And program on 2012 street glide looking for ideas on best stuff tx
What type of exhaust are you looking for? Slip-on's, 2 into 1 full system, true duals?

A popular setup is to replace the headpipes with something like true duals or power duals, add some slip-on mufflers, K&N highflow air filter, and properly tuned fuel management system.

The cat in the stock head pipe will limit the exhaust flow and sound. Since you plan on upgrading the exhaust and intake, I recommend upgrading the head pipes as well.

In my opinion, dyno tuning is the best option but many riders have success with units like the Fuelpak. That is a great option if you are on a budget or have no plans for future engine upgrades.
-Ryan

Old 11-25-2011, 09:53 PM
waterdriven
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same questions I guess...

Could you please explain the values of the different headers please? I want to upgrade my ride (2011 Street Glide 103). I like the look of the V&H headers and pipes. What would be the pros & cons if you were to compare the V&H Power Duels (what is the purpose of the cross over anyway) and Dresser Duels?
I want the looks I like, duel exhaust and I like the V&H Chrome Monster Ovals with Chrome tips. I want HP increase to be more pronounced at the 40 mph range and up. I like a deep low exhaust rumble but not so loud it is painful to those I ride with or make my neighbors hate me.
This is my first HD and new to VTwins, input is appreciated.
Another question, air filter systems… I am concerned about riding in the rain (which I do from time to time). Can you make the stock air filter enclosure “breath” well? Just don’t want to suck water in the motor…

Old 11-25-2011, 10:18 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest finding a few recommended dyno tuners in your area and vist them. Get there opinions, look at what exhaust you like. If you do the research it will save you money in the long run.

I don't think you can go wrong with vance and hines. They have made quality products for years and the chrome holds up well. Also check out bassani and fat cat.

Go full exhaust if you have the money

Old 11-26-2011, 12:32 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 370 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
I would suggest finding a few recommended dyno tuners in your area and vist them.
I agree. 30 miles east. http://docsperformancetuning.com/

Old 01-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Marty31
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by joeybedford
Joey, I would invest a few hours on reading through the numerous posts in this forum and look specifically at your bike type. There's so much info and so many opinions, you'll be much smarter within a week after reading these guys information. Excellent stuff all at your fingertips. Then, come back with questions once you have an idea of what you want and are narrowed down to some more specific ideas. Use this forum for what it is...a HUGE amount of information with a TON of experience.

Marty