Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Tuner in South Carolina?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 11:07 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Tuner in South Carolina?

Okay, here's the story. There is a tuner that recommended that I go with a 44mm carb ( I got the S/E CV) and a ingition module and some Rinehart pipes (sweet pipes). I had this done somewhere around August. The bike definately feels stronger and the dyno shows around 70hp (on a humid day). The a/f ratio is around 14 I believe and the main jet is a 225 (Big, I know). The issue is that I gas everyone behind me out and I have had it mentioned to me that one person smelt raw gas. I mentioned after the tuning that the gas mileage was really horrible (30ish mgp) and the tuner said that it will run great in 65 - 85 degree weather. The gas mileage is up around 34 now, but still, come on. I don't have a lot more to put into this little project (maybe $500 and that is a maybe). What would someone recommend and does anyone know a good tuner in or near the upstate of SC?

Thanks

Old 12-03-2006, 12:08 AM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Tuner in South Carolina?

I talked to a Danny Kelly in Fountain Inn a couple years ago about tuning mine, but never did go see him. He's in the book under Red Line Performance. Don't know anything about him, but I work with a guy that knows him and he says he's good. I believe both Timm's in Anderson and Spartanburg Harley have dynos, but don't know if they're any good.
Judging by the 70 hp you mentioned, I'm assuming you're still 88" and no internal mods. That 44 sounds like a lot of carburetor if this is the case. You should be able to get 70 hp easy with the stock CV40 with pipes and an air cleaner. Should be able to get high 40's mpg also. I've got a 95" Wide Glide with 203 cams, air cleaner, ignition and Pro Pipe and I can get 50 mpg if I take it easy with the CV40 and an '88 Sporty needle. Just put a 42mm Mikuni on it and still get 46-48 (still tweaking).

Old 12-03-2006, 12:27 AM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks murphdog, I will check that out and yes it is still an 88 incher. I realize the carb is big...trust me, I've heard, but it's bought and paid for so there it is. The key now is to work on the engine some to make use of that carb. I think the problem with the guy I go to is that he works a lot with sport bikes (although he has worked with HD's and with good results). I don't know if I want any HD shop touching my bike...sorry to say.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:37 PM
foghat
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TILLEY HD for your tuning.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure how far upstate you are but I've used these guys in the past with good success.

http://www.thecyclexchange.com/main.asp