Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Installing cir clips on new exhaust pipes

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Thumbs up Installing cir clips on new exhaust pipes

I just put a set of V&h power dual headers in. I tried to do some research and read the instructions a bizzilion times just to make sure I didn't screw anything up.

I chose to buy new exhaust flanges and cir clips . I read one poster say the cir clips were so easy to install he let his 11 year old do one pipe. Must be true....

I went on you tube and watched a video of cir clips being installed......looked crazy easy.....

I go to install mine and no way in hell would these clips roll around the head of the new pipe. These new clips from jp cycle were chrome and Tough! They weren't being manhandled onto any new head pipe. Now What?

For those of you who can relate to this go get yourself at least one good vise grip plier and grab onto the edge of the cir clips lip on one side closest to the separation point.

With a pair of regular pliers firmly pull the cir clip with both sets of pliers as you attempt to get the cir clip over the head of the new exhaust pipe head.
Wammo....she will spread just enough to get the clip over the tip of the new pipe. Just release it and your done.

These clips wouldn't let you roll them around the circumference of the pipe. They had to be pulled apart.

Hope I saved somebody a little grief.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:51 AM
pnw_hd_rider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using two pairs of pliers to spread a C-clip is still kind of a 'cave man' method of doing it (no insult intended, just an expression). C-clip spreaders (also called snap ring pliers) cost about the same as regular pliers, and make the job so simple you can do it with one hand in about 3 seconds.

C-clip pliers work kind of like regular pliers, but in reverse. When you squeeze the the handles the working end opens (instead of closing like regular pliers). You just stick them in the opening of the C-clip and spread it.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:03 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,594 Posts

What pnw_hd_rider said; use a set of ring expander pliers; a piece of cake. All exhaust flange circlips need to be spread to fit over the flange, otherwise they wouldn't server the purpose; none will "roll over" the flange.

Last edited by djl; 11-12-2011 at 11:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
porkster (03-29-2021)
Old 11-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Gliden
Club Member

Originally Posted by pnw_hd_rider
Using two pairs of pliers to spread a C-clip is still kind of a 'cave man' method of doing it (no insult intended, just an expression). C-clip spreaders (also called snap ring pliers) cost about the same as regular pliers, and make the job so simple you can do it with one hand in about 3 seconds.

C-clip pliers work kind of like regular pliers, but in reverse. When you squeeze the the handles the working end opens (instead of closing like regular pliers). You just stick them in the opening of the C-clip and spread it.
The JP Cycle cir clips didn't have the conventional holes for the use of snap ring pliers. Either did the old cir clips from HD that were in there. So yes I agree very cave man ish...well put.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:38 PM
pnw_hd_rider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gliden
The JP Cycle cir clips didn't have the conventional holes for the use of snap ring pliers. Either did the old cir clips from HD that were in there. So yes I agree very cave man ish...well put.
I apologize, I shouldn't have said snap ring pliers; I'm not revering to the ones that go into the holes. C-clip expander pliers I guess would be the correct term (as djl stated). They just go in the gap of the C-clip.

Originally Posted by djl
All exhaust flange circlips need to be spread to fit over the flange, otherwise they wouldn't server the purpose; none will "roll over" the flange.
...and they still will if it's not seated in the groove on the flange properly when it's bolted on. Seems simple enough to avoid, but I've seen it happen. I've even heard of someone putting the flange on backward.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:29 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by pnw_hd_rider
...and they still will if it's not seated in the groove on the flange properly when it's bolted on. Seems simple enough to avoid, but I've seen it happen. I've even heard of someone putting the flange on backward.
**** happens, I guess. I was referring to the flange at the end of the pipe; the lip, not the exhaust flange. Hard to believe they could be installed backwards but like I said;**** happens. :icon-doh:

Old 11-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Gliden
Club Member

C-clip extenders pliers?!

Well there you go....I never knew that such a thing existed. Swear to god..lol. I have snap ring pliers but never heard of or ran into a situation to go get c-clip pliers. I'll have to add them to my arsenal . Thanks

Old 11-13-2011, 07:27 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

C-clip extenders pliers?!

Well there you go....I never knew that such a thing existed. Swear to god..lol. I have snap ring pliers but never heard of or ran into a situation to go get c-clip pliers. I'll have to add them to my arsenal . Thanks
If you Google C-clip pliers, you will see mostly circlip pliers which won't work on the exhaust flange clips. A set of ring expanders will work and you need one in your toolbox anyway. Open the link to see what they look like; you may find a set cheaper on Ebay.

http://www.amazon.com/Goodson-Adjust.../dp/B0009RKARC

Old 03-23-2021, 10:49 PM
BernardoLora
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I just put a set of V&h power dual headers in. I tried to do some research and read the instructions a bizzilion times just to make sure I didn't screw anything up.

I chose to buy new exhaust flanges and cir clips . I read one poster say the cir clips were so easy to install he let his 11 year old do one pipe. Must be true....

I went on you tube and watched a video of cir clips being installed......looked crazy easy.....

I go to install mine and no way in hell would these clips roll around the head of the new pipe. These new clips from jp cycle were chrome and Tough! They weren't being manhandled onto any new head pipe. Now What?

For those of you who can relate to this go get yourself at least one good vise grip plier and grab onto the edge of the cir clips lip on one side closest to the separation point.

With a pair of regular pliers firmly pull the cir clip with both sets of pliers as you attempt to get the cir clip over the head of the new exhaust pipe head.
Wammo....she will spread just enough to get the clip over the tip of the new pipe. Just release it and your done.

These clips wouldn't let you roll them around the circumference of the pipe. They had to be pulled apart.

Hope I saved somebody a little grief.
All I have to say is thank you. I was dealing with this crap for like a half hour. You saved me from a whole lot of aggravation. I hear what the others are saying but sometimes you just don't have the tool you need and you have to work with what you got. It worked just fine. Peace.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:57 AM
Slingshot383
Road Master
Received 438 Likes on 314 Posts

Some people used to call them water pump pliers. Ah Oh, I'm not showing my age, am I?