Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

103 Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 05:46 PM
1320str8_liner
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 09 SG and Im looking at the 103 10.5cp kits myself, just curious about reliability, anybody have this kit can speak for reliability after the build, want power and torque but don't want to sacrifice the road trips...

Old 12-03-2011, 09:10 PM
tem2169
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tem2169
Well, after some deliberation and a 30% discount sale! at the dealer, I decided to go with the CNC ported factory heads (exchange program). They broke the bike down last week for the head exchange. Since, this was an addition to the 103 Stage III or 103 Pro Upgrade, it presently does not include the larger (58MM) throttle body and larger injectors that come with the Stage IV kit. I am assuming from other inquiries that they will not be necessary for my build. Any thoughts?
I am hoping what I settled on is the right choice. Only time will tell. My only concern is that I get the most (performance/reliability) out of what I have chosen. Unfortunately, with the current SE Stage IV offering not being compatible with the 2012 electronic throttle, I have kind of combined the Stage III with the Stage IV. I was just looking for input as to whether experienced builders now think I am on the right track. I assume I am really just completing the SE Stage III build with the Stage IV heads.

This is a hell of a lot of money to throw into a motor (for me) and I am seeking input from anyone completing this type of build.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:08 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

You are fine. Using the Factory CNC ported heads to complete the stage 3 is a good way to go. You will not be hampering the performance by using your stock tb. Consider adding se auto comp releases and the necessary wiring harness. From the photo it appears that the heads are acr ready. You may not need them with that camset but this is a good time to do it incase you increase the cranking pressure with cam changes and/or a thinner hg, either upon initial assembly or later on. Your tune will be a big factor in your satisfaction of the kit. The canned stage 3 or canned stage 4 map will most likely be lacking in many areas, I know mine was and left me less than satisfied. The guy actually doing the assembly will be the other factor, if he is just a parts changer, look elsewhere.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:24 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tem2169
I have a question about my planned upgrade for my 2012 Street Glide. My dealer is installing the SE Pro 103 Performance Uprade kit which includes the 10.5:1 compression forged pistons, 259E cams, EFI Super Tuner, and perfect fit push rods, performance clutch spring, and high lift valve springs. I am adding the SE heavy breather element and Vance and Hines Power Duals with High Output slip-ons.

I have read several posts regarding the advantages of improving the heads and am considering having the SE Pro Factory CNC Ported heads put on the bike also. With a head exchange program, I can get them for $649.00 install labor included in the above.

My question is...will this be worth the expense in terms of additional performance gains. I don't want to see marginal gains at the expense of reliability.

I know from reading here that there are probably some better head options, but as long as I'm using HD parts and having them installed before the bike is delivered, the upgrades will be covered by the dealership under warranty.

Thanks for the help!
All Harley heads will see marginal gains.They still need reworking to get some good numbers if that's what your looking for.The SE heads are a little better because of the port design.Thats what my mechanic told me!

Old 12-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

IMO if you can afford the heads, always do heads/cam to maximize the potential and efficiency. The fact it's covered under the HD warranty is great too.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:12 PM
tem2169
Cruiser

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I am comfortable with my build options. Now I just need to hope my dealer does the job right! I am told I should have the bike by Christmas. The service manager said I can have "visitation rights" until then. Very funny! Hope the weather is good so I can get some miles on it before it I need to think about storage.

I'll post something back when I have a chance to give it a test drive.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:18 AM
tem2169
Cruiser

Well, the bike was delivered yesterday. It looks great and sounds good. Unfortunately, the weather was crummy. It was cool and drizzling. It's only suppose to be about 46 today, but I have to get it out and run it a little. I am torn with which way to go with the break in. I've read a lot of the post here with all the different opinions. Talked to the service guy and he stressed the vary your speed but keep it under 50 MPH for the first 500.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:02 AM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I thought it was keep it under 3500 rpm for the first 500.

What is interesting about how harleys are broken in versus aircraft. On the aircraft, we go up and fly it full throttle for a couple of hours. After that, the engine is run at a higher than normal power setting for about 10 hours, and then it is good to go and the owner can return to normal power settings. On the harleys it is the opposite.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Car drivetrain break-in instructions are similar to Harley too.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:22 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Did they tune the bike already? If so the rings are as seated as they ever will be. If not... just ride it like the new bike it is. I would ASSUME the dealer heat cycled it a few times to check out everything and rode it around the block a time or two. Again... rings are about as seated as they ever will be. This is NOT an older car where one has to break in bearings, etc. Once the rings are seated, it's good to go.

Go ride it like the manual says for a new bike (do NOT use cruise for first 500 miles, etc...), change the oil at 500 miles, enjoy your new ride.

Next summer, if you think it doesn't run as expected... swap cams to ones that Scotty suggested.

Make sure you get all the cables, etc from the SEPST. Also get any tune that they installed. If all they did was a download, it would be a noticeable improvement for you to get a tune... whether it be an **** retentive DIYer tune, or a dyno tune, either will be better than a download.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 12-24-2011 at 12:28 PM.

Quick Reply: 103 Upgrade Question