Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

New Lifters Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 12:49 PM
HD-GSD
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Lifters Needed?

I apologize if the answer is in the forum already, I've searched all over and haven't found it. I am in the process of changing my stock TC88 ('02 EGC) by having heads ported, new cams, & hydraulic tensioner upgrade. As most, I am trying to keep the spending to a minimum. My question is do I also need to change the lifters? I understand that I am in there, I may as well change. But also don't want to spend the extra $150 if not needed.

I should've said that I am going with Andrews 21 cams and using stock pushrods since the heads are off.

Last edited by HD-GSD; 10-21-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:30 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,216 Likes on 1,604 Posts

For me, it would depend on mileage. If more than 25K, I would change lifters. The motor upgrades are going to be a little more demandiing of lifter performance and older, tired lifters could tend to bleed down under the new power. If you are spending the money for head work, new cams, etc., new lifters would seem an appropriate additional expense. JMHO

Old 10-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Once again, very solid advice from djl.
Scott

Old 10-21-2011, 04:59 PM
HD-GSD
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Gents. Pretty much where I was at but figured I would check. BTW...40K miles. This all started cause the tensioners (they weren't as bad as I expected). Figured I may as well do cams while I'm there, then what the **** may as well get the heads done. You know how it goes.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,088 Likes on 3,646 Posts

It's like CRACK....

Old 10-21-2011, 11:10 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Crack is less expensive.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:01 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,088 Likes on 3,646 Posts

That is why more people buy crack....Oh!!! and how do you know how much crack cost anyway????LOL...

Old 10-22-2011, 06:13 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,804 Likes on 3,166 Posts

And stay away from the "new" HD lifters. They're not the same as the ones in your bike. Consider HQ Black Ops, Woods Directionals, etc...

Old 10-22-2011, 08:08 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
Crack is less expensive.
And it is also easier to deny you have a habit..doesn't matter if it is HDs, Metrics, whatever, most all will easily sink an addtional 20% of the original purchase price into modifications, some a whole lot more - don't ask me how I know.

Oh, for the original poster - yes, replace the lifters. Some suggest that lifters can be used over. I am not disputing that and dont want to start a "should you or shouldn't you" thread. I guess I am pretty old school, If I put a cam in, new lifters are going in unless it is a brand new bike with less than a few thou miles. For me, cheap insurance and also ensures that the lifter rollers will "wear in" with the cam.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:34 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,216 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
And stay away from the "new" HD lifters. They're not the same as the ones in your bike. Consider HQ Black Ops, Woods Directionals, etc...
Actually, the verdict is still out on the new "C" lifters. Scott buys them in quantity and can weigh in but from what I know, it is hit/miss. If buying new "C" lifters, I would open them up and take a look before taking them home. VThunder (Comp Cams), offers a cost effective alternative but there are also quality issues with them. If you order from Comp Cams insist on on Delphi manufactured lifters.

Attached Thumbnails New Lifters Needed?-old_new-lifter-body.jpg   New Lifters Needed?-old_new-lifter-cup.jpg  

Quick Reply: New Lifters Needed?