Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

"try" figuring this one out

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:06 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKBAGGER
From what you are saying the tune is complete crap. Get the bike tuned right and go from there.
+1 ... amazed at how smooth my bike runs once it got a proper tune ... could not believe the timing and AFR made that much difference in the amount of vibration (how much less) ....

Old 10-14-2011, 11:01 PM
coastie56
Grand HDF Member

Received 399 Likes on 333 Posts

You said motor mounts. does that mean you changed out the rear swingarm pivot rubber doughnuts? Made a big change on mine that even my friends could notice at 32k miles. I also was convinced crank runout was to blame, even after I changed my front to a Velva Ride. Rubber doughnuts are approx 40 bucks, cheap fix and easy to change.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 137 Posts

A good running bike shouldn't pop and run sluggish until it's warm. I would think that you should a have proper tune on it before you go chasing gremlins.
It could be that easy.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:17 PM
coastie56
Grand HDF Member

Received 399 Likes on 333 Posts

You can also loosen the 2 bolts that locate the front mount. than start the bike with it upright and let the mount center itself while it idles for a few minutes and you rev it a couple times. On mine I used a screwdriver and pried it back and forth so the through bolt was centered perfectly in the hole. This pevented the bolt from transmitting vibes from pushing on the left(downside on sidestand of mount). I than retightened it and checked it a couple times. Took two times to get it right. My bike is smoother than new now. But it did have the same symptoms you described. The new doughnuts helped quite a bit. You might also want to align your frame to center your mounts. Go to the Glide pro web side to watch a video on how to do it by using a level and a couple of lasers from Home Depot. Jake is a terrific teacher, makes it easy to do. Good luck. You can do all this in a day.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:05 AM
FLHXXHLF
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guy that did the tune didn't give me my TTS mastertune I purchased from him. We took the bike to New Orleans to have it re tuned by a TTS tuner and when we got there the TTS master tune wasn't in the bike. WE called the boy that tuned it the first time and he said he downloaded all the information in my stock ECM so I don't know what I got if anything. The guy in New Orleans wasn't able to tune the bike .
I was thinking on going with the thundermax. I figured I couldn't get a better more precise tune than that. I don't know. Would this be the best tuner to go with ?

Old 10-15-2011, 08:01 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

you need to locate/call the guy that did the tune either he gives you the mastertune with the box or the police will come get it or him. unfortunately i've had to to deal with unsavory characters before; when they did not repond I had to get the authorities to intervene.
Originally Posted by FLHXXHLF
The guy that did the tune didn't give me my TTS mastertune I purchased from him. We took the bike to New Orleans to have it re tuned by a TTS tuner and when we got there the TTS master tune wasn't in the bike. WE called the boy that tuned it the first time and he said he downloaded all the information in my stock ECM so I don't know what I got if anything. The guy in New Orleans wasn't able to tune the bike .
I was thinking on going with the thundermax. I figured I couldn't get a better more precise tune than that. I don't know. Would this be the best tuner to go with ?

Old 10-15-2011, 08:25 AM
FLHXXHLF
Tourer

Originally Posted by lkr0
you need to locate/call the guy that did the tune either he gives you the mastertune with the box or the police will come get it or him. unfortunately i've had to to deal with unsavory characters before; when they did not repond I had to get the authorities to intervene.
Already did, it turned into a civil matter. He put the business in his MOMS name according to my attorneys info. Him and his dad had a long history of ripping people off so we decided it wouldn't be worth it to take them to court .

What comes around , goes around ! Carma is a BI*CH !

Old 10-15-2011, 08:28 AM
nathanw
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed. The Mastertune is attached to your vin# once you tune with it, so it wont work with other bikes and you cant tune yours using someone else's Mastertune. Tell the guy to give it to you or you'll call the cops and report it as stolen. No need to get a T-Max, the Mastertune is one of the best on the market.

Originally Posted by lkr0

Old 10-15-2011, 08:35 AM
FLHXXHLF
Tourer

Originally Posted by coastie56
You can also loosen the 2 bolts that locate the front mount. than start the bike with it upright and let the mount center itself while it idles for a few minutes and you rev it a couple times. On mine I used a screwdriver and pried it back and forth so the through bolt was centered perfectly in the hole. This pevented the bolt from transmitting vibes from pushing on the left(downside on sidestand of mount). I than retightened it and checked it a couple times. Took two times to get it right. My bike is smoother than new now. But it did have the same symptoms you described. The new doughnuts helped quite a bit. You might also want to align your frame to center your mounts. Go to the Glide pro web side to watch a video on how to do it by using a level and a couple of lasers from Home Depot. Jake is a terrific teacher, makes it easy to do. Good luck. You can do all this in a day.
I broke down the swing arm Thursday. Checked out the front and back motor mounts. Loosened all of them and took off the stabilizers. Cranked the engine and seen if it still vibrated. It did. Let the engine settle and tightened the back motor mounts. Cranked it again and then tightened the front motor mount. All of them were new and looked good. Then I installed the stabilizers and neither had tension on them. It still vibrated excessively . It's something in the engine. I just dont understand how it can be transferring into the frame so badly. Ive searched EVERYWHERE . I've spent days looking for metal transference and can't find anything.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:52 AM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHXXHLF
I broke down the swing arm Thursday. Checked out the front and back motor mounts. Loosened all of them and took off the stabilizers. Cranked the engine and seen if it still vibrated. It did. Let the engine settle and tightened the back motor mounts. Cranked it again and then tightened the front motor mount. All of them were new and looked good. Then I installed the stabilizers and neither had tension on them. It still vibrated excessively . It's something in the engine. I just dont understand how it can be transferring into the frame so badly. Ive searched EVERYWHERE . I've spent days looking for metal transference and can't find anything.
Have you removed the passenger floorboards/pegs and the mounts lately? When putting them back on, if you put the right on the left and visa versa, there will be contact on the primary. After everything you have done to get rid of the vibration, that's the only thing that comes to mind that you could have vibration transferred to the frame. I accidentally did this when I first bought my bike. It caused a vibration like you describe. It's at least worth a shot to look into. Good luck!

Quick Reply: "try" figuring this one out