Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Sound Levels Measured - Big Shots

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 05:11 PM
TXSailor
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sound Levels Measured - Big Shots

When I purchased by Deluxe 4 months ago , it had V&H Staggered Big Shots with standard baffles on it. I thought it sounded loud but tolerable and I liked the "rumble". Since then I have discovered my ears ring if I ride more than 60 minutes or so and my wife refuses to ride more than 35 minutes.

So it was time to see how to "quiet them down". I did a bunch of research on the Forum and Net and there does not seem to be one agreed "Best Approach" so I decided to do some tests.

First the Test gear:

Radio Shack Digital Sound Level Meter
"C' weighting (32 to 10,000 Hz) (A weighting cuts off at 500 Hz)
Slow response time

'06 Deluxe "stock" 88
PC Commander w/ Custom Tune
Screaming Eagle AC
V&H Staggered Big Shots with standard baffles

I first did some measurements to establish a baseline for the future. The bike and "test stand" was placed in the middle of the Cul-d-sac and a minimum of 60 ft from any objects. The sound meter was placed on a milk crate (really scientific stuff that) at the same height as the exhaust outlets. I took measurements in three directions (behind, left and right) at 6 and 10 ft. The first picture shows the results.

Loudest point (the seat) at idle was 106dB while directly behind the exhaust was 102 db and 98 db at 6 and 10 ft. I did make one measurement from about 50 ft behind and got 85db which is the "guideline" in many states.

I then took silica mat (Welding curtain from McMaster as someone on the forum suggested) and wrapped the standard baffles, tied them up with wire and re-inserted them in the Big Shots for the second test.

I got about what I expected (see picture 2) which was a decrease of 1 dB (at idle) but a much smoother and lower frequency rumble. Now the human ear cannot distinguish a 1 dB change and the level is still too D*** loud at anything above an idle so........................................

I've ordered a set of Hard Kore quiet baffles to add to the existing set-up. I expect to get 6 to 10 dB more noise reduction and we'll see what happens to the tonal quality.

I'll update this thread with "Test Three" once I receive them and get them installed. I'll also "test" Big City Thunder baffles if someone wants to send me a pair. If I do not get the result I'm looking for wiht the HK then that may be the next step.

Safe Ridin". D

Attached Thumbnails Sound Levels Measured - Big Shots-exhaust-stock-vh-big-shot-staggered1.jpg   Sound Levels Measured - Big Shots-exhaust-wrapped-vh-big-shot-staggered1.jpg  
Old 09-28-2011, 06:43 PM
09B29
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting

Old 09-29-2011, 08:09 PM
TXSailor
Road Captain
Default Updated based on a highway ride today

I had a chance to take the "new" wrapped baffles on a decent ride today. The sound measurements were all "static" so there were still some questions to be answered with regards to what the effect of the "wrapped" baffles are at speed.

Well I can now say that at 65 to 75 mph, the exhaust note is more quiet. I'd guess and say not 3 dB but maybe 2 db or a bit more. it is discernible.

More importantly, the exhaust note is more "throaty" and much smoother sounding (ever so slightly lower tone). It has also decreased the noise when coming off the throttle (it still pops and bangs but it is much less noticeable now).

It's still not as quiet as I'd like at constant cruise but it's headed in the right direction. I hope the hard kores just drop the sound levels but don't change the pitch and tonal quality as it sounds sweet right now.................

D

Old 09-30-2011, 01:41 PM
swaite
Road Captain

quality write up, I would say if you have pop and bangs on decel though you might need a new map that address that

Old 10-03-2011, 09:05 AM
TXSailor
Road Captain
Default New Test w/ Kard Kore Baffles & Wrapped Std

This is the third part of this "on-going" series regarding getting the V&H Big Shots a bit more palatable (especially at cruising speeds).
The SmartPartz Hard Kore quiet baffles showed up Friday and I installed them in about 30 minutes. That includes the time to cut about 5/8 of an inch off the back of my billet tips. After installation, I believe the baffle "extension" (the HK's) would have fit w/o the need to cut the tips so that was about 15 minutes that was not necessary.

As to the results , well you can find all the details in the attached jpg file. I must admit when i started the bike in the garage, I was disappointed immediately but then realized I had a great echoic chamber there. When I moved it into the Testing position, all was revealed.
They do work and dropped my sound levels between 5 and 7 dB at idle in all directions. They also sort of "muffled" the idle rumble (not an objectionable sound but different). They really shined however when i got it out on the Road.

I put a bit over 150 miles of freeway speed riding on it over the weekend and have to say it was fantastic!. I can now hear my Blue Tooth headset at 65 to 70 w/o difficulty. I lost it previously at about 40mph. I even tried a cell call (not recommended) and it worked up to about 50/55 mph w/ my 3/4 open face helmet. The pops and bangs are all but gone now as well so the additional back pressure has helped.

I made one measurement at about 50 ft and it was down to 80 dB. Well within the laws of all state ( I believe). Overall I like the results and would recommend the HK baffles for those interested in a bit more quiet w/o giving up the "blast" you can get when you crack the throttle.

I think I have just a bit more torque in the mid range now but may have lost just a smidgen at the top end. Will have to put it on the dyno to validate that.

D

Attached Thumbnails Sound Levels Measured - Big Shots-exhaust-hard-kore-vh-big-shot-staggered3.jpg  
Old 10-03-2011, 09:15 AM
petewerner
Road Captain

Great work! Thanks for taking the time to write and document the sound changes as u worked through them.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:54 PM
scasey
Road Master

I need to start wearing earplugs

Old 10-04-2011, 07:50 AM
TXSailor
Road Captain

scasey - I thought the same thing (at least as a trial) so I stopped by CVS Pharmacy and picked up a set of "cheap" store brand soft foam ear plugs when I was out yesterday. These are the (supposedly) NRR 30 dB ones used to "block" snoring.

Once I had installed the Hard Kore baffles what I noticed more than the exhaust was the wind noise due to my open face helmet but the exhaust noise is still there just no longer the most prominent.

The ear plugs pretty much got rid of everything. In fact, they worked just a bit too good as I had to turn up my Blue Tooth headset to full volume to be able to heard the FM radio. The audio level from the cell phone was so low, that I cold not really hear the other party!!!

So if you decide to use ear plugs ( and I think I will from now on for long rides of over 1 to 2 hours), I recommend something in the mid 20 dB NRR range (say 24 to 26 dB) so you don't "isolate" yourself from the environment.

Much of the "road experience" is keeping all senses fully engaged and when things were as quiet as i found then I just did not feel like I was on a Harley!!!!

D

Old 10-04-2011, 10:08 AM
scasey
Road Master

Originally Posted by TXSailor
This is the third part of this "on-going" series regarding getting the V&H Big Shots a bit more palatable (especially at cruising speeds).
The SmartPartz Hard Kore quiet baffles showed up Friday and I installed them in about 30 minutes. That includes the time to cut about 5/8 of an inch off the back of my billet tips. After installation, I believe the baffle "extension" (the HK's) would have fit w/o the need to cut the tips so that was about 15 minutes that was not necessary.

As to the results , well you can find all the details in the attached jpg file. I must admit when i started the bike in the garage, I was disappointed immediately but then realized I had a great echoic chamber there. When I moved it into the Testing position, all was revealed.
They do work and dropped my sound levels between 5 and 7 dB at idle in all directions. They also sort of "muffled" the idle rumble (not an objectionable sound but different). They really shined however when i got it out on the Road.

I put a bit over 150 miles of freeway speed riding on it over the weekend and have to say it was fantastic!. I can now hear my Blue Tooth headset at 65 to 70 w/o difficulty. I lost it previously at about 40mph. I even tried a cell call (not recommended) and it worked up to about 50/55 mph w/ my 3/4 open face helmet. The pops and bangs are all but gone now as well so the additional back pressure has helped.

I made one measurement at about 50 ft and it was down to 80 dB. Well within the laws of all state ( I believe). Overall I like the results and would recommend the HK baffles for those interested in a bit more quiet w/o giving up the "blast" you can get when you crack the throttle.

I think I have just a bit more torque in the mid range now but may have lost just a smidgen at the top end. Will have to put it on the dyno to validate that.

D
I can"t remeber the exact numbers for OSHA but I think anything over 85db for any a certain amount of time requires ear plugs or you will suffer from hearing loss.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:12 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I saw an audiologist and got fitted for a set of Westone custom ear plugs, for long rides they are incredible.

Quick Reply: Sound Levels Measured - Big Shots