Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

PLEASE HELP! 95ci build on 2004 electra glide

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 06:49 PM
brokeboystreetglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello hillside cycles in addition to the domed top piston kit ill now be purchasing, what would you be looking for in the heads? i plan on sticking with the redshift 575 cams. if its more feasible to call instead of the emails and posts i can do this too. i would just like to remedy my power loss. i dont need to be in the 100+ club, anything close to 90 would make me smile. and i also do alot of mountain riding thru W Va and Pennsylvania, sometimes 2 up, so longevity and ridability are a slight concern. lemme know. thanks Scott

Old 09-25-2011, 07:58 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,230 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
In addition to the above I'd can the 44 CV for a 42 Mikuni.
Or a 40mm CV; it will support that 95" build just fine and is a lot cheaper.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:00 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,230 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by brokeboystreetglide
hello hillside cycles in addition to the domed top piston kit ill now be purchasing, what would you be looking for in the heads? i plan on sticking with the redshift 575 cams. if its more feasible to call instead of the emails and posts i can do this too. i would just like to remedy my power loss. i dont need to be in the 100+ club, anything close to 90 would make me smile. and i also do alot of mountain riding thru W Va and Pennsylvania, sometimes 2 up, so longevity and ridability are a slight concern. lemme know. thanks Scott
You will need some .010" OS pistons, so you can hone the cylinders to fit; no guarantee standard bore pistons will fit out of the box. Your call but, I would leave the heads alone; don't get too many cooks in the kitchen. JMHO.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

We could've surfaced the heads for more squeeze, but we would be looking the heads over on the flow bench.
We know what airflow allows these bikes to run correctly.
Happy to discuss via phone, after 8:00 am tommorrow.
Scott

Old 09-27-2011, 07:14 PM
brokeboystreetglide
Advanced

hey guys, ive sent a couple PMs out but the forum seems to be running slow the last couple days and locks up. i hope to have the top end of the motor out time permitting by mid next week. ill be in contact with a sponsor on here about the required work to finally get me where i want to be power wise after all this money has been spent. now if i can get Gil to answer his phone. the only real dyno guy i know in Md.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:03 AM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

If you want to take a ride up 95 and then 476 to Hellertown, Pa,near Bethlehem, Dave Stoddard at JD's cycle works is a real good dyno guy. 610-297-0321

Old 09-28-2011, 07:07 PM
brokeboystreetglide
Advanced

thanks roadkingharry, just logged the number in the BB.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:00 PM
brokeboystreetglide
Advanced

ok, took a little while to get to the bottom of my build problem. keep in mind i didnt build this myself, i was yet another victim of a poor quality build. the bike now is in very compotent hands. heres what he found.

over 20% leakdown in both cylinders..
130psi approx in both cylinders
excessive deck height difference in the jugs
compression rate came in at 8.2 to 1

so..the top end is going to be corrected to 9.8 to 1. a domed piston will be used. in other words another top end rebuild done correctly.

now i have a question..my builder is stating my crank has 4 thousandths runout. he said thats not really an issue with stock motors with bolt ons and chain drive.
his concern is with the gear drive with that runout..and the hp/tq the bike will have when hes done. he said "eventually" i may develop a problem with the crankshaft or it may fail later down the road. he asked me to consider fixing the crankshaft issue now. im up against the fence on that one. mainly due to money. i only ride around 3-4k a year and dont run the bike hard on a daily basis.
any imput on this would be great. thanks
Larry

Old 10-15-2011, 03:07 PM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brokeboystreetglide
ok, took a little while to get to the bottom of my build problem. keep in mind i didnt build this myself, i was yet another victim of a poor quality build. the bike now is in very compotent hands. heres what he found.

over 20% leakdown in both cylinders..
130psi approx in both cylinders
excessive deck height difference in the jugs
compression rate came in at 8.2 to 1

so..the top end is going to be corrected to 9.8 to 1. a domed piston will be used. in other words another top end rebuild done correctly.

now i have a question..my builder is stating my crank has 4 thousandths runout. he said thats not really an issue with stock motors with bolt ons and chain drive.
his concern is with the gear drive with that runout..and the hp/tq the bike will have when hes done. he said "eventually" i may develop a problem with the crankshaft or it may fail later down the road. he asked me to consider fixing the crankshaft issue now. im up against the fence on that one. mainly due to money. i only ride around 3-4k a year and dont run the bike hard on a daily basis.
any imput on this would be great. thanks
Larry
who is doing your work now?

Old 10-16-2011, 05:20 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

..............and then again, you may never see that crank any more than .004".
Scott

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP! 95ci build on 2004 electra glide