Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Oil line on Oil Filter Adapter keeps on blowing off

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011 | 09:17 PM
whitelx1
|
6th Gear
Default Oil line on Oil Filter Adapter keeps on blowing off

I have a 95th Anniversary Fatboy that since I owned it, always had a problem with oil leaks. When I got it, I blew the oil line on the oil filter completely off(the one on the outside of the bike). Then I had problems with blowing other seals. Now 5 yrs later, I am having the same problems all over again. The motor is stock, with the exception of cam, pushrods and other bolt ons. At my local HD dealer they asked me if it is a 98 or 99 motor. On 98s the return I believe goes to the outside of the oil filter, and on a 99 it goes to the inside. How can I determine what year motor it is, and what else would cause this line to blow off. It is leaking oil real bad and you can pull the line up and down. I replaced the compression fittings already for the oil filter adapter, and I made sure it had a V Twin oil filter on. I also put a S & S oil Breather gear and make sure the marks lined up. I would apprecite any help here I am really lost. And I got the oil lines to stay in place when I bought it by cable tying the oil lines together( I know) but it stopped it for a while. Thanks Again

Old 09-22-2011 | 08:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member

I can't give you an answer to your question, but can make some suggestions. Your bike is a 1998 model year, so it was made either late 1997 or during 1998. Harley introduce each model year around July/August. The factory service manual and parts books will between them show what the correct set-up is for oil lines etc. If you don't have them I strongly recommend getting them both! You can see the diagrams in the parts book by looking at Ronnies website, which may help.