Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Fumes coming from fitting

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:30 AM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Fumes coming from fitting

Hello all,

A brief synopsis of my problem.

For the last three months when I shut down my FXDXI, 1600 miles on it. After a run I park it in my garage. After a while I smell a strong oder of gas. This gas oder seeps through the whole house.

I took it to the dealer. After removing the gas tank checking all connections and pressure testing, installing it back onto the bike and let it sit for a day they could not find any leaks.

I took the bike back home and the fumes where still coming from somewhere.

So I checked all the above the dealer did. I found where the fumes are coming from. All late model Harley's with EFI have a chrome quick connect fitting under the fuel tank on the left side with a hose going to the throttle body. (Check out photo) The fumes are coming form the fitting. No liquid is leaking just fumes.

Yesterday I took the bike back told them where the fumes are coming from. The said they can't smell anything. I'm standing there and I can smell the fumes. They won't switch out the fitting because no liquid is leaking.

Well guys the liquid is not what ignites it's the fumes. I told them this they said the fitting has to be defective in order to change it. They will change it but not under warranty. They said that I could leave it and have a factory rep look at it. #1 I'm not paying for this out of my pocket. #2 how long will my bike be laid up at the dealer? I still want to ride before the snow and salt hits the road. Plus we have a few toys for tots rides going on here in the next few weeks.

I took the bike back home again. Gas fumes again. I thought of something to try in order to find out whats going on here. Last night I took unscented tissue paper cut it to fit around the fitting and taped it tight. I left it over night. This morning I removed it, guess what? It smells of gas not wet but really strong smell of gas.

My question. The fuel in the tank is under pressure because of the EFI.

Can the fitting under pressure not leak liquid but push out fumes through the O-ring seals? I need a definite answer with some proof so I can bring it back to the dealer. Did this fume problem ever happen to anyone here?

Thanks, Tom

I want to clarify the position of my dealer. At the time of my first post I stated that my dealer would not fix this under warranty. I was wrong. The person at the counter that told me this was mistaken. They are doing everything possible to make me happy. They want to switch out the parts I think is the problem. I don't want to just switch out parts . I want to find what is causing the strong gas/fumes smell and fix it so it doesn't come back. The GM even offered to take the bike home and park it in his garage over night because they can't smell anything in the shop.

I just want to find what is causing this with minimal dismantling of the same parts on my bike. This is why I came here for your help.

Tom

[IMG]local://upfiles/20955/DE65C4ED468D4B56A5EB0DA461FC7054.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-22-2006, 11:52 AM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts
Default RE: Fumes coming from fitting

I had the exact same thing happen. The dealer couldn't smell it but I could. I don't know what happened but it stopped smelling after about a year.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Budz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: tomt

Last night I took unscented tissue paper cut it to fit around the fitting and taped it tight. I left it over night. This morning I removed it, guess what? It smells of gas not wet but really strong smell of gas.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20955/DE65C4ED468D4B56A5EB0DA461FC7054.jpg[/IMG]
Tom, for your own peace of mind do the tissue paper wrap overnight. Take it off in the morning and take it outside and put it in a can or pot with lid. Put a match or small flame about an inch above the tissue to see if it ignites from the fumes. If it doesn't I wouldn't worry too much. If it does do the same demo for the dealer to try to convince him of the need to change your fitting. Use common sense when you try ignition. No wind, no flammable materials around.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

take it off....rub some lube on it like engine buildin molycoat or white lithium grease...put it back on....it should stop then

Old 11-24-2006, 09:56 PM
tomt
Road Master

OK Budz, I did what you suggested. The tissue did start to burn where I could smell the oder of gas. Not a big blast but a slow burn. Read below.

Bryan, I disconnected the fuel line coupler and put some lithium grease on the O-rings. The gas oder stopped.

Now there seems to be another area I think the strong fumes are coming from.

To make a point the fuel tank right now has only 1 1/2 gallons of fuel in it. This oder happens no matter how much fuel in the tank.

There is Continuous venting system that the tank uses to vent gas if the tank is over filled. One of the valves/vent is connected to a pan at the tank under the console. I removed it and put some grease on the O-ring and plugged it back in. There is a hose connected to this valve going to another valve about 1" up from it. Another hose is connected to the other end, this hose goes down the side of the frame to another valve, right under the neck. A hose connected to this valve goes under the tank across the frame back under the seat and down the frame in front of the swing arm. This is where the excess gas/fumes discharges out to the ground.

Now the service manual I have only shows two valves. The one under the console 1" away form the first valve/vent with the O-ring it does not show.

After I plugged the vent back in after about a minute I removed it to see if I put enough grease on it. When I removed it the bottom of the valve and the end of the hose was wet with gas.
The tank only has 1 1/2 gallons of gas. I put everything back together and took the bike for a ride. Got back home parked it and closed the garage door. The $%^&%$ fumes are still smelling up the whole house. I went under the bike and put my finger on the end of the discharge hose and the end is damp and I can smell the oder of gas. This is what's making me
think this is the cause.

Did HD have problems with this and add another valve? The fuel lines have pressure inside, tank does not. Could the tank be building up pressure some how? I live in IL so heat is not the problem. Why is the first valve/vent wet. The bike is not running so no agitating of the fuel.

Thanks, Tom

Old 12-14-2006, 07:25 PM
tomt
Road Master

Does anyone really want to know the outcome of my famous fume problem?

(Please read my last update [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]post if confused)

I let the dealer do their thing for a couple of weeks so not to be a pest.

I stopped by the dealer yesterday to see what they found out from the MOCO.
Well for starters the service guy doesn't work there anymore. So no one knew what I was talking about. Even though they all saw me there three days in a row, two weeks ago. Finely I got a guy to look up my name on the computer and pointed out to him the technician that worked on my bike.

He walked over to the tech. and talked to him for a while then he came back and told me to go over and talk to him.
I went over and asked him what the MOCO said. He said that the parts in question are not serviceable and the hoses, vents and top plate come as one assembly.

I said now what? He told me that MOCO will not warranty it because I took it apart and I broke it. I broke noting. The vent is pushed into the hole, twisted into place and sealed with an o-ring. If you look at the pics. you can see how the valve fits into the hole. The tech. said that their hands are tied. If the MOCO won't pay the bill they can't switch out parts. And I'm the one that told them what's causing the fumes. They never found the problem them selves.

SOooooo, when I bought the bike I purchased the Extended Service Plan thinking if something happens after the factory warranty expires (next March)I would be protected three more years. Well I went back today and canceled the plan.
They are going to prorate the stupid thing so what, at least they won't be keeping all my money.

With all this said and done I still have this fume problem.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20955/095E6672BFE74801B30001C9B0999CE0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/20955/F52AEEB21E70444BB85FF42BE9F296DB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/20955/FC4ECC3DF6ED40A689B412C97E7F9A77.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-14-2006, 09:14 PM
FACTION95
Road Master

That really sucks to hear about this problem your having. I'm not shocked that you got the tough **** answer from the stealer though.

Old 12-15-2006, 03:06 PM
ReeseSS
Tourer

From your information sounds like the odor may be excessive, but all fuel tanks are "vented" to allow ambient air in when the fuel is pumped out or used. Could have a "check valve" (maybe your mystery check valve) on the vent to reduce oder (lets air in, but not back out) and could be the check valve is fubar .

Old 12-17-2006, 12:59 PM
Budz
Tourer

Make sure you have comprehensive coverage on the bike and smoke detectors in your house. Do you have a gas water heater close to where you keep your scoot? If so, think about another (safer) area to keep the bike until you get the fume issue resolved. Keep you bike away from all sources of ignition; don't want to hear about a tragedy! Maybe consult an attorney or file a compaint (safety related)with NHTSA. The MOCO, and it's agent, doesn't seem very interested in your safety.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Old 01-16-2007, 04:52 AM
tomt
Road Master

UPDATE:
The Motor Company gave in.
The dealer decided to order the vent hoses and valves. They came in last week. I had them replaced last week and took the bike home. The fume smell still exists.
I called them and said the fumes are still coming from the vent system.
They ordered a new top plate. They called me and said it's in. Have to wait now for the salt to be washed off the roads. So we will see.

Tomt

Quick Reply: Fumes coming from fitting