Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Lifter Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:38 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

lucky is right
that could have done some serios damage

A note on lifters:
When I did my cams (andrew 37's advanced 4*) on my 06 dyna I put in a set of johnson hylift lifters and they seem to be a nice lifter and I have not had any noise or any other problems.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:44 AM
carseller0822
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it back yesterday. They didn't have any trouble getting the rest of the bolt out so it didn't turn into anything major.

For the first time in my short history with HD dealers I have an invoice that says $0.00 due. I think I'll frame it.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:25 PM
HighLiner
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

One of the first problems I've heard of with the 120r

Old 09-22-2011, 09:03 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow you being lucky is a huge understatement. If it were my bike it would have got lodged in the chain and sprockets and exploded the motor.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:12 PM
carseller0822
Advanced

Originally Posted by HighLiner
One of the first problems I've heard of with the 120r
I don't even know that I'd say it was a 120R issue. I think it was more than likely a defective bolt. Not saying it's not f*&cked up. It is. Hopefully it was one bad bolt out of all the bolts that went into my motor and all the other 120s

Makes me wonder though. What would have happened if the head of that bolt would've got into the timing chain? Would the whole motor have seized up? Sorry, I'm not real educated on the inner workings of these things.

If the motor had seized or blown or whatever would someone have been able to see that a defective bolt had been the initial cause? If not then what? My warranty is about up on my motor and had this happened after that and had the motor been shot I would be out several thousand $s. All because of a defective bolt. That is pretty fu*&ed up. I wonder if it would be worth the time to contact MoCo and discuss this with them.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:52 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by carseller0822
I don't even know that I'd say it was a 120R issue. I think it was more than likely a defective bolt. Not saying it's not f*&cked up. It is. Hopefully it was one bad bolt out of all the bolts that went into my motor and all the other 120s

Makes me wonder though. What would have happened if the head of that bolt would've got into the timing chain? Would the whole motor have seized up? Sorry, I'm not real educated on the inner workings of these things.

If the motor had seized or blown or whatever would someone have been able to see that a defective bolt had been the initial cause? If not then what? My warranty is about up on my motor and had this happened after that and had the motor been shot I would be out several thousand $s. All because of a defective bolt. That is pretty fu*&ed up. I wonder if it would be worth the time to contact MoCo and discuss this with them.
It is hard to say what would have happened if the bolt head had wedged between the cam chain and sprocket. If the motor was idling, damage probably minimal. However if you were on the throttle in third gear at 5200 rpms; all hell would have broken loose. It would have been pretty easy to figure out the cause; what was left of the bolt head and the rest of the bolt still in place would be obvious.

It's is hard enough to get the MoCo's attention when you have a real problem so contacting them for any sort of discussion, IMHO, is a waste of your time and theirs. I would however, send them a letter and photo of the defective bolt just for ***** and giggles.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:26 AM
carseller0822
Advanced

Originally Posted by djl
It is hard to say what would have happened if the bolt head had wedged between the cam chain and sprocket. If the motor was idling, damage probably minimal. However if you were on the throttle in third gear at 5200 rpms; all hell would have broken loose. It would have been pretty easy to figure out the cause; what was left of the bolt head and the rest of the bolt still in place would be obvious.

It's is hard enough to get the MoCo's attention when you have a real problem so contacting them for any sort of discussion, IMHO, is a waste of your time and theirs. I would however, send them a letter and photo of the defective bolt just for ***** and giggles.
I appreciate your advice. I work at a car dealer and I guess I shouldn't be surprised that MoCo doesn't devote a lot of resources to customer issues. God knows that the auto manufactures don't care much either.

I'll send them the stuff I have along with the write up from the tech and see if anything comes of it.