Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Which Ultima Motor 113 or 120?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:15 AM
MaineRyder
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Ultima Motor 113 or 120?

I'm tired of running my 96" S&S stroker-sidewinder kit in a HD 80"- and was looking at Ultima's 120" but am undecided which version and when I contacted one of the dealers to ask some questions as to what the Hp&Tq differences were this was the reply

"The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) Certified motors have a more thorough air filtration process, which prolongs the life of the motor, which is why the warranty is double. They also produce fewer emissions. The EPA Certified motors actually produce about 20% less horsepower and torque because of how the airflow is restricted. Having said that, the 120” EPA Certified motor still has over 110 Hp, which is a tremendous upgrade over a stock H-D motor. If you want the 12 month warranty without getting the EPA Certified motor, go with the 113” motor (the EPA Certified version of the 113” motor has a 24 month warranty). The 113” non-EPA Certified motor has more power than the 120” EPA Certified motor."

Any suggestions or experiences anyone would care to share with me? Should I go with the EPA or CARB Compliant 120" and is it just a matter of changing out air-filters & jets(Of course saving the OEM stuff just in case) or is there more to it and should I just go with the 113". Anyone please speak up or PM me with some input please.Also keep in mind the reason why I was thinking 120" was because its a square motor which is supposed to run smoother and last longer...SUPPOSEDLY being the key but.....

Old 09-15-2011, 10:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Most Harley engines and the copies of them are under-square, in other words the stroke is longer than the bore. I don't think that has any significance on actual service life, other than theory. In practice most of are unlikely to own an unmodified motor long enough to find if it has a long service life! So IMHO don't let that influence which you buy.

Why are you talking of changing jets? If you want to get the motor with the best performance, buy the biggest baddest one you can afford! That's half the reason for buying a bigger after-market engine.

You don't say what your bike is. My understanding is the 120" is a touring motor. If you have a dresser, get one of them. If this is so close a call, toss a coin! Or consider getting one of their 140s.....

Old 09-15-2011, 12:09 PM
MaineRyder
Intermediate

Originally Posted by grbrown
Most Harley engines and the copies of them are under-square, in other words the stroke is longer than the bore. I don't think that has any significance on actual service life, other than theory. In practice most of are unlikely to own an unmodified motor long enough to find if it has a long service life! So IMHO don't let that influence which you buy.

Why are you talking of changing jets? If you want to get the motor with the best performance, buy the biggest baddest one you can afford! That's half the reason for buying a bigger after-market engine.

You don't say what your bike is. My understanding is the 120" is a touring motor. If you have a dresser, get one of them. If this is so close a call, toss a coin! Or consider getting one of their 140s.....
The bike is a 98 Fatboy evo 80" then I got tired of the 80" a few years back and I bought a S&S 96" sidewinder stroker kit and put that in, now I'm tired of the 96"..or I guess you could say I'm well used to the power as it still runs fine 30,000 miles later and I'll probably store it or maybe throw it in another frame I have. Anyway Ultima makes a 124" that they specifically tout as a bagger/touring motor. The reason why I questioned the messing around with carb jets is the thought that they might just be under carbing the "EPA Certified & Carb Compliant" engines which put out less Hp&Tq then their El Bruto Series motors. Then the thought of 2x's length of warranty for $400. MORE but less Hp&Tq...My line of thought was go with the longer warranty and less Hp then if its a matter of carbing work and pipes I can deal with that. I agree there is no replacement for displacement but the motor has to fit in the frame and I do want it to be dependable as well. Price wise the difference between the 113 & 120 is like 100 bucks or so. Take a peek.
http://www.ultimaproducts.com/engines.html

Last edited by MaineRyder; 09-15-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:32 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

S&S also make different versions of engines now, to meet emissions requirements. I suspect both they and Ultima use different CRs and cams as well as ignition systems, to reduce engine noise and exhaust emissions, so I doubt if changing jets is going to undo that for an EPA engine. If you don't need an EPA or CARB engine, don't buy one!

If you buy an S&S with IST ignition you get a three year warranty, if that is important, 2 years with a 124".

Old 09-15-2011, 12:37 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I can get u Ultima motors at a discount! Email me at DREW@DRVTWIN.COM

Drew

Old 09-15-2011, 11:42 PM
Allenz
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember what you said, that you’re well used to the power of your 96". I'd say go for the most power you can get. In time it will never be enough. I put a S&S 124" crate engine in my bagger back in 2005. I thought it was unbelievable power until I got use to it. In 2010 I had Hillside Cycle increase cubic inch to 128, head work, carb work, on and on - because after 5 years that 124 crate engine was not so fast any more. It ran the same I just got use to it.

Now Hillside Cycle's build is running great but not as fast as when I picked it up - well the engine has't changed, I'm just getting use to it.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:35 AM
MaineRyder
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Allenz
Remember what you said, that you’re well used to the power of your 96". I'd say go for the most power you can get. In time it will never be enough. I put a S&S 124" crate engine in my bagger back in 2005. I thought it was unbelievable power until I got use to it. In 2010 I had Hillside Cycle increase cubic inch to 128, head work, carb work, on and on - because after 5 years that 124 crate engine was not so fast any more. It ran the same I just got use to it.

Now Hillside Cycle's build is running great but not as fast as when I picked it up - well the engine has't changed, I'm just getting use to it.
I think you hit it spot on...to make matters worse during the time I've had the 96"er Ive had 3 other bikes ranging from another 80" to a 111" so that just makes ole faithful 96" just seem tired...I think I'm going to talk to DR. V-TWIN and see whats up.

Drew I sent you a private email to your above address

Last edited by MaineRyder; 09-16-2011 at 05:36 AM.
Old 02-18-2024, 04:33 PM
Kenneth Wise
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

113" El Bruto is a BEAST!

CV44 Carburetor

.625" cam

Fastest bike in my area.