Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

CV Idle mixure queston

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011 | 09:05 AM
keatingiv
|
Intermediate
Default CV Idle mixure queston

Howdy!!!

So I just followed the directions on that nighrider CV carb enhancement website (sporty needle jet, 165 main jet, 45 slow jet, and 1/8 "" drilled out vacuum hole on butterfly valve. I followed the directions to a "T". However, the directions get a little vague once the initial carb work is done and the adjustments begine.

So I turned my idle mixture screw out 2 1/4 turns. Now, I read somewhere that I have to take the bike on a 1o mile run before I adjust it. So what I am asking is that the engine will only stumble, when adjusted, after the ride?

I did turn it in util it bottomed out without over tightening it and the engine contiuned to idle normally. Does this mean there is an air leak somewhere? I know this is a dumb quesiton, but I need some seasoned advice. I am ok with building and modifying, but I am not at fine tuning. I just dont want to damage my engine.

Thankyou!!!

Last edited by keatingiv; 09-06-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-06-2011 | 10:37 AM
N-gin
Road Captain

Sounds like you have the throttle blade open too much at idle and its siphoning from the off idle circuits. The engine should stall with the mixture screw turned in all the way or even almost closed. U r probly experiencing some minor hesitation.
If you need more air to keep the engine running with the throttle blade closed you may have to drill the butterfly. I would not attempt to do this yourself if not familiar with modifying carburetors.

Last edited by N-gin; 09-06-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-06-2011 | 10:41 AM
N-gin
Road Captain

Look at the lil holes were the throttle blade are at closed you, should not be past the first hole.

Old 09-06-2011 | 11:29 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by keatingiv
Howdy!!!

So I just followed the directions on that nighrider CV carb enhancement website, sporty needle jet, 180 main jet, 45 slow jet, and 1/8 "" drilled out vacuum hole on butterfly valve. I followed the directions to a "T". However, the directions get a little vague once the initial carb work is done and the adjustments begine.

So I turned my idle mixture screw out 2 1/4 turns. Now, I read somewhere that I have to take the bike on a 1o mile run before I adjust it. So what I am asking is that the engine will only stumble, when adjusted, after the ride?

I did turn it in util it bottomed out without over tightening it and the engine contiuned to idle normally. Does this mean there is an air leak somewhere? I know this is a dumb quesiton, but I need some seasoned advice.Thankyou!!!
Is the motor stock or modified? I would not have drilled the hole in the butterfly valve; some do and some don't, I don't.

Normally I would say that the pilot is too small if you bottom out the A/F screw and the motor doesn't stumble and/or die but a Stage I 88" motor should be OK with a 45. IIRC, up until 2002, the carbed bikes cam with a 42 but ran too lean and the 42 was replaced with a 45.

A couple of things to check first. Check for intake leaks; check throttle cable to make sure that the butterfly valve is closing all the way, check the enrichener "piston" and make sure it is seating before the **** bottoms out when pushing it in and pull the A/F screw out and check for the washer, spring and o-ring, make sure they are all there.

Last edited by djl; 09-06-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-06-2011 | 12:11 PM
keatingiv
|
Intermediate

I going to go ajust the idle speed. The bike is modified a little Stage 2 95 SE pistons, S&S jugs, SE 203 cams, stock heads, 8mm wires

Old 09-06-2011 | 01:20 PM
keatingiv
|
Intermediate

yeah I tried to adjust the idle mixture 2- 1/4 turns but it dies right out. I then went a few turns less and a few turns more with the same outcome the engine doesn race at all just stalls. then I adjusted the idle speed down a little and up a little no change. I wonder if my jet is sized inorrectly.

Old 09-06-2011 | 03:51 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by keatingiv
yeah I tried to adjust the idle mixture 2- 1/4 turns but it dies right out. I then went a few turns less and a few turns more with the same outcome the engine doesn race at all just stalls. then I adjusted the idle speed down a little and up a little no change. I wonder if my jet is sized inorrectly.
Are you saying that the motor dies when you back the A/F screw out 2.25 turns? If yes, go to a 46 pilot. Forget the number of turns, you need to give the motor what it wants. If pilot is right, you should be able to start about 1 turn out and back out until the motor stumbles and note the number of turns. Then go back in until the bike stumbles and note the number of turns. Say, you back out 3.25 turns to a stumble, you are now 4.25 turns out. Then back in 2.5 turns to stumble, you are now 1.75 turns out. Somewhere between 1.75 and 4.25 turns out, you will find a spot where the motor idles the smoothest; leave it there. When you are making the adjustment, set the idle speed up to about 1200-1300, easier to find the sweet spot. Once you have that sorted out, you can move on to address the main and the needle.

This is of course assuming that all the other possibilities previously pointed out have been addressed; start from the outside in.