Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Aim vp clutch vp92t install for high hp motors

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:48 AM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aim vp clutch vp92t install for high hp motors

We sell many of these units and use them on all our builds. We get this questions 3/6 times a week on how to install what does it look like etc. well I will show pics of install.

First of get your owners service manual out and follow the way the book tells you on adjusting your clutch.
If you are happy the way your clucths is set up than leave it alone. And install the aim will be fast and very easy. We always suggest you adjust clutch.

We use the stock HD clutch plates with this et up for years on 200 hp bikes with 155/165/175/180 plus tq no issues..... and easy on the hand....

1. remove spring and be care full when removing srping the clutch plates do not come out.

Attached Thumbnails Aim vp clutch vp92t install for high hp motors-aim1.jpg   Aim vp clutch vp92t install for high hp motors-aim2.jpg  
Old 09-01-2011, 11:51 AM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor

2 nd step after removing spring take the 6 base plate and bend tabs up slightly towards you like pic shows

Attached Thumbnails Aim vp clutch vp92t install for high hp motors-aim3.jpg  
Old 09-01-2011, 12:03 PM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor

Then you place the 6 base tab on plate then put new AIM spring over it 380lbs spring. Than install AIM vp92t tq bolts in to place fill it up with fluid put your covers back on and take it for a test run. This will handle your 120rs 124s 131 that make up to 150 tq with no probs. If you make more power they make different springs to handle the tq.
Any ?????? if not enjoy very easy to install... You can by the pics we are installing this on a DBW threshold 107 with blower it will make 170hp 145 tq mild build......

Attached Thumbnails Aim vp clutch vp92t install for high hp motors-aim4.jpg   Aim vp clutch vp92t install for high hp motors-aim5.jpg   Aim vp clutch vp92t install for high hp motors-aim6.jpg  
Old 09-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

We must've installed those now for almost a decade.
Probably 150-200 of them.
We ALWAYS combine them with a Barnett spring.
They work well.
Scott

Old 09-02-2011, 05:21 AM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor

Yes the barrnett will work great. We have used this setup with Hd/SE spring which is 340lbs springs. Just in the last year we have about 140 of them. They work great. We been using them for about 4 years now. This is no secret. Lol

sQUOTE=Hillsidecycle.com;8768845]We must've installed those now for almost a decade.
Probably 150-200 of them.
We ALWAYS combine them with a Barnett spring.
They work well.
Scott[/QUOTE]

Old 09-04-2011, 10:41 AM
joe98
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks very much for the pics and explanations Drago. Just a couple of questions: I've been told by many shops that the AIM is a " lock up clutch " ? Would this work much better for serious race applications ? Also, does the grip lever effort require a lot more pull when shift in the upper rpms ? Thanks again for the great pics and instruction steps.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:29 AM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor

We recommend this kit above 115 plus hp.its very easy on the hand.
you can use this with SE spring which is 340lbs spring or there spring that's starts @ 380. We have sold many for customers that run hyd clutch on there cvo bikes it fits right no issues. We sold a few to hd dealers for cvo bikes because the clutch system they use wont work on hyd clutch.
again this system can be used from 120tq to 185 tq with a heavier spring. And it is easier to pull that the se clutch system you don't need popeye arms.......lol

Originally Posted by joe98
Thanks very much for the pics and explanations Drago. Just a couple of questions: I've been told by many shops that the AIM is a " lock up clutch " ? Would this work much better for serious race applications ? Also, does the grip lever effort require a lot more pull when shift in the upper rpms ? Thanks again for the great pics and instruction steps.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:44 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by joe98
I've been told by many shops that the AIM is a " lock up clutch " ?
That's not my understanding of how it works. Their website says it "works like a lock up clutch", not that it is one. There is no feature about it that I can see that will lock up in any way. As clutch speed increases, the bob-weights apply increasing pressure on the clutch, to improve plate pressure. At low city speeds clutch effort will be low, while at high highway speeds clutch pressure will be high. Other reviews I have read say good things about them!

Old 09-05-2011, 06:59 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
We recommend this kit above 115 plus hp.its very easy on the hand.
you can use this with SE spring which is 340lbs spring or there spring that's starts @ 380. We have sold many for customers that run hyd clutch on there cvo bikes it fits right no issues. We sold a few to hd dealers for cvo bikes because the clutch system they use wont work on hyd clutch.
again this system can be used from 120tq to 185 tq with a heavier spring. And it is easier to pull that the se clutch system you don't need popeye arms.......lol

I have an AIM 92T on my 06 street bob 120R build, also added the AIM billet pressure plate. I used the SE clutch plates for the stock basket and the SE diaphragm spring. Works great and as Drago noted doesn't bulge the forearms after a day of riding.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:40 PM
C-Cat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The clutch pull is definately much harder at 6000 rpm with the vpc.

Quick Reply: Aim vp clutch vp92t install for high hp motors