Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

pebble in a beer can noise at 70 mph . . .help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 12:20 PM
keatingiv
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pebble in a beer can noise at 70 mph . . .help!

Hey forum,

need some expert advice.

I have a 2000 electraglide classic. I decided to do an upgrade following a bunch of problems with my TC88, namely several headgasket leaks. Rather than spend the money getting the decks and heads milled, I decided to do a full top end rebuild. I used S&S 95' jugs that were re-honed by my local cycle shop; for pistons, I used Screaming Eagle 95' pistons; the build was topped of with a pair of stock heads; and a relatively new CV carburator. The lower end had approximately 60,000 miles on it when I had screaming eagle 203 cams and new tensoner shoes installed on the bike.

Here is the link to the video of the noise

You Tube

The motor went together very well. Most of the equipent went together fine. The only modifications that I mad was to plosh up the ports a little.

Well, I took the bike on 5700 mile treck across the US. From the beginning of the trip I got a pinningin in what appeared the front cylinder at 60 miles per hour. It was very wll pronounced sound. Not the regular valve chatter that is uniform across all normal speeds. Throughout the trip, I adjusted the carb (enriching and leaning it out) nothing worked. It sounded like a pebble in a beer can. Sometimes it would get more pronounced on acceleration. Then at other times, The engine would ping at only 70 mph. I chased this noise for the whole trip. I actually have a video of the noise attached below

I dont know what i should do. The bike is carburated. Overall it ran fine no mechanical issues at all. Plenty of accleleration for the whole trip. Although it does have a vibration now at 70mph. Any ideas? I thought it was pre ignition frirng but I really dont know. Any good advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks