Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Cam Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 01:31 AM
allison
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cam Change

I am running an 05 FLHRCI. SE intake, PCIII and Samson rolled tip ovals on stock head pipes. The bike works so much better than stock it's hard to believe. I have decided to go to gear drive cams,although so far it seems the stock tensioners seem to be holding out (18000 miles).I ride two up 50% of the time and have decided on two cam choices Andrews 26G or 37G. I have a tach on my bike and I spend alot more time from 2000 RPM on. A 95" kit is not in the near future and I plan to drive the stock 88 until it needs a rebuild. If needed I can replace the stock ignition module with a SE 6200 RPM unit and would any different clutching be required. My real goal here is a little more speed on top to around 120 mph as I top out now at 100. Is it possible with either of the combos I have mentioned. Any thoughts ?

Old 04-26-2007, 06:27 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cam Change

ORIGINAL: allison

I am running an 05 FLHRCI. SE intake, PCIII and Samson rolled tip ovals on stock head pipes. The bike works so much better than stock it's hard to believe. I have decided to go to gear drive cams,although so far it seems the stock tensioners seem to be holding out (18000 miles).I ride two up 50% of the time and have decided on two cam choices Andrews 26G or 37G. I have a tach on my bike and I spend alot more time from 2000 RPM on. A 95" kit is not in the near future and I plan to drive the stock 88 until it needs a rebuild. If needed I can replace the stock ignition module with a SE 6200 RPM unit and would any different clutching be required. My real goal here is a little more speed on top to around 120 mph as I top out now at 100. Is it possible with either of the combos I have mentioned. Any thoughts ?
Howdy,

My post a couple back described my setup. I have the 37G's and love the power they bring from mid to top end. I am hitting the rev limiter a lot more than before, as the power just keeps on coming till the 5,700 RPM limiter. The original cams ran out of steam way before rev limit.

On the other side of the equation, the low end torque has not been affected by the cams. Last weekend, riding two up, I purposely took a low speed, steep uphill bend, to try out the low end torque. At just above idle the bike pulled up that steep grade without a hitch.

There is no difference in clutching, as far as more slippige to take off from a rest, none. The biggest difference is the smile I get every time I get on the throttle, amazing the way the bike rockets till the limiter. I am definitely getting the 6,200 ignition module.

I am also going to install the 45mm Mikuni, along with the SE intake manifold.

Initially the plan was to install the 95 C.I. upgrade, HTTC Ported Headswith Cometic head gasket, to increase torque and compression, as the cam installsuggests. The bike runs so well with the current stock components that I am going to rack up more miles on my jugs before going to the 95 or 98 inch route.