Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

O3 FXSTB bogging issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 07:36 PM
S_I_N_N_E_R
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O3 FXSTB bogging issue

I've currently got and 03 FXSTB with 39K miles on it. Never had any issues other than a carb cough here and there and that it seems to take a bit to warm up. Went out for an all day ride about a month ago and everything was good. Next morning washed the bike for another ride, plans got interrupted, back in the garage. Started the bike yesterday as usual with full choke and it seemed to be revving higher than usual. Twisted the throttle a few times but it never seemed to idle down any. Pushed the choke about 1/2 way in and it seemed to be idling much better so I gave it some gas and it bogged down, had to really ease into the throttle to keep it from dying. Pushed the choke all the way in and it dies instantly. Went through the process again with the same result.

Only issue remotely similar I've dealt with was a 91 sporty that the stator went out on so any suggestions or areas to troubleshoot would be greatly appreciated. It's just odd that it was running perfect prior to sitting for a month (a crime, I know). Thanks in advance!!

Old 08-16-2011, 09:27 PM
matt816
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's just odd that it was running perfect prior to sitting for a month (a crime, I know).

Might be your last words. Bad gas, clogged filter, petcock blocked, pilot jet blocked due to gas sitting...... Have you tuned the carb at all? Taken out the plug covering the idle mix adjustmet? Cheap and easy attempt, maybe try some Seafoam off choke using the throttle to keep the rpms up. Add it to a fresh tank of perferably non ethenol premium use the choke, lock the throttle at a higher rpm, push choke in and see what happens. If it dies, time to pull the carb. You said it was idleing higher than usual, tells me that dirt or bad gas has clogged it up meaning a lean idle. Also said the occasional carb cough, lean again.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:32 PM
S_I_N_N_E_R
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 FXSTB bogging issue

matt816 I appreciate the advice. Like you my first thought was bad gas because this is the longest the bike has sat in the last three years and it was garaged running great. I also wondered about condensation because of the humidity here and thought the first thing I should try is draining the tank and getting fresh fuel. Funny that you mentioned tuning the carb because I just read instructions on doing it tonight and thought I should give that a shot as well because the factory plug is still in there so it's never been done.

Looks like a have a couple of simple things to try this week, thanks.