Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Gas Tank Dent update

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005 | 02:59 PM
Bill918
|
Road Captain
Default Gas Tank Dent update

I had posted earlier in reference to a small dent I placed in my gas tank. Here is an update. I met with some Harley reps and a paintless dent removal expert who specializes in high end vehicles. The dent removal guy was reluctant to attempt removal from the outside due to several factors; the heavy gauge of the metal, the type of paint which could potentially pull off due to the fact adhesives are used for the pulls, and finally that the quality of the repair would be dependant on the metals 'memory' to return to exactly the same position. Fortunately, on RK's, access can be gained to the interior of the tank through an access panel located under the speedo. This creates an opening of about 3" x 5" to work. The dent removal guy is going to attempt the repair from inside the tank. The bike is scheduled to go in on Friday, I will let you know how it turns out. Wish me luck.

Bill

Old 07-12-2005 | 03:20 PM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Default RE: Gas Tank Dent update

Good luck.

Old 07-12-2005 | 05:49 PM
Bill918
|
Road Captain

Thanks JB, got my fingers crossed.

Old 07-12-2005 | 06:02 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm curious to find out how this turns out...I will be suprised if you don't have lines in the paint from cracking...hope you don't though.

Mac

Old 07-12-2005 | 07:08 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Good luck, nothing ventured nothing gained.

John TN

Old 07-12-2005 | 10:11 PM
Johnny
Outstanding HDF Member

Heard that dry ice on hot metal will remove minor dents. Anyone ever hear of or try this?

Old 07-12-2005 | 11:34 PM
Bill918
|
Road Captain

Someone just told me about the dry ice thing the other day, but I am to chicken to try it. I have seen PDR (paintless dent removal) before. Usually, as long as there are on sharp ridges, they can be removed completely, like they were never there. The only concern here is the gauge of the metal on the tank is slightly thicker than that on an auto body.

Old 03-25-2006 | 01:02 PM
dmello
Intermediate

I just noticed a small dent on the side of my gas tank. It's so small it went unnoticed for about 3 weeks. I was pulling a rag of the shelf in my garage and a piece of metal was in the rag. You know that piece of metal hit the bike, lucky the bike was covered. I looked at the bike and couldn't see a thing. The other day in the right light I noticed the dent. It's very small but I know it's there and want it out. Please let me know how you make out and if you think the dent puller would work on such a small dent.

Old 11-06-2007 | 03:29 PM
deansoldit
Intermediate

any more on this dent removal

Old 11-10-2007 | 11:23 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Dent removal is only as good as the technician doing it. We are lucky and have a very good guy here in upstate NY. He has straightened out numerous fenders and tanks for us. He even has a small plastic tool to put the "orange peel" back in the paint to match the original. He is a real artist.

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Dent update