Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Upgrading to True Duals

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011 | 08:19 PM
02RiderFLHRCI
|
Novice
Default Upgrading to True Duals

I have a 2002 FLHRCI with a stage 1 SE air cleaner kit and SE mufflers. I am considering upgrading to true dual head pipes and keeping the SE mufflers. Does anyone know if the fuel injection will need to be mapped? Or can I get away with just swapping out the head pipes?

Old 08-10-2011 | 04:06 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

Are you on a stage I download, or a custom map? If you're already mapped for the stage I air cleaner and higher flowing slip ons, and all you're doing is getting rid of the y-pipe for dual headers, you can probably get by with not re-mapping.

Old 08-10-2011 | 10:57 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Community Team

Originally Posted by 02RiderFLHRCI
I have a 2002 FLHRCI with a stage 1 SE air cleaner kit and SE mufflers. I am considering upgrading to true dual head pipes and keeping the SE mufflers.
You will loose some low end if an 88" motor. Actually, the OEM exhaust works fairly well. The only problem is in the "Y" connector where some metal protrudes into the path of the exhaust causing some turbulence out of the rear cylinder. A better move would be to keep the head pipes and Y connector and toss the SE mufflers for a set of Cycle Shack, V&H or Rush slipons.

Old 08-10-2011 | 05:09 PM
02RiderFLHRCI
|
Novice

I bought the bike used so I'm not 100% sure of the mapping from original. All I am sure of is the stage 1 air cleaner and SE mufflers. I want to eventually upgrade both head pipes to true duals and replace the mufflers with Bassani's. But I am trying to avoid one big investment by purchasing the head pipes now and the mufflers and tuner later. Not sure if I can get away without the tuner if I only change the head pipes to duals.

Old 08-10-2011 | 05:16 PM
Navyrep1
Cruiser

As mentioned, if you got the HD stage 1 download then you're probably fine. If not, you should be running some sort of tuner with that setup anyway. Even the HD stage 1 makes it run pretty lean. Just about the best $250 I've ever spent on my bike was a Fuel Moto EFI Tuner....smooth as silk now. You might consider getting a tuner no matter what.

Also as noted, you'll take a little bit of a performance hit with true duals. The sound is nice but keep in mind that it's a "sound upgrade" not a "performance upgrade"...TQ numbers will go down. Lots of slip-on options that will preserve your performance and give you a better than SE sound.

Old 08-10-2011 | 07:14 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 02RiderFLHRCI
All I am sure of is the stage 1 air cleaner and SE mufflers. I want to eventually upgrade both head pipes to true duals and replace the mufflers with Bassani's. But I am trying to avoid one big investment by purchasing the head pipes now and the mufflers and tuner later. Not sure if I can get away without the tuner if I only change the head pipes to duals.
There are SE slip ons that work better than others. The older SE Pro Performance slipons,(65115-98b) worked really well, but were dropped from the catalogue a number of years ago. They have a 3 1/2 inch muffler body, and use end caps. If those are what you have on your bike, they're worth keeping. There is a new version, (65115-10) that looks a lot like the older ones, but I don't know for a fact whether or not it's the same baffle.

You can make the y-pipe work a little better by getting in and clearing the obstruction where the pipes join. They'll still be too hot, in my opinion. Going to TDs is worth it for the heat reduction and the way they sound. You can make up any potential torque losses in other ways (gearing, bigger motor, increased compression, etc).

Rinehart TDs with the stepped header design do not lose any performance compared to the stock headers. There are some 2-1 systems that may work a little better, especially at the lower rpms on smaller motors.

Old 08-10-2011 | 10:16 PM
Navyrep1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
You can make up any potential torque losses in other ways (gearing, bigger motor, increased compression, etc).
Sounds to me like he's on a budget.......

Old 08-11-2011 | 12:33 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Navyrep1
Sounds to me like he's on a budget.......
We're all on a budget.

Old 08-11-2011 | 08:24 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
They'll still be too hot, in my opinion.
I don't think heat is even an issue with the 88" with the Y pipe. I've never heard of it being a problem. Mine 98B's with the stock headpipe run nice and cool. I would vote for keeping the headpipe and keep the torque.

Old 08-11-2011 | 09:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member

A general comment on TDs versus alternative pipes. I have an S&S 107" in my Evo and ran it originally on TDs. My dyno numbers were better than S&S advertise, so I was very happy. I had problems later on with my left pipe and now have a SuperMegs 2-into-1. I lost 1HP, gained a few TQ, but gained a lot over the lower rev range, over 10%. Also the motor runs much smoother and I am even more happy with it now. I haven't run this motor with the stock Y-pipe twin muffler system.

Quick Reply: Upgrading to True Duals