Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Intermitent starting, throttle boggs engine :/

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 02:42 AM
jaystay42
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermitent starting, throttle boggs engine :/

Posted in New members area aswell, as that was my first ever post on here. Hope I can find some help here, It is killing me not being able to ride my baby!

It is a 93 Sportster with 10,000 miles on it (had just under 6,000 when I bought it!) It has Edlebrock Pistons/Heads/Carb, and ran like a champ!

My issue is the bike seems to die on me while riding, but only when I give it throttle...it is as if it runs out of gas...or the air/gas mixture is too rich/lean and it wants to bog out. It is weird because some days, I will go out to mess with it, and it will start up like normal, I get on to take her for a spin and she rides fine for a good few hours, then it might randomly start bogging out... I have messed with the tuning for this and still no avail. The bike will idle perfectly, but when its put in gear, it doesn't like throttle. It boggles me as to what would cause this, Any help would be greatly appreciated! and let me know if you need any more specific details/information.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:49 AM
pnw_hd_rider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like starving. I would check fuel flow from the tank first. There is a diaphragm on the petcock to keep fuel from flowing in the absence of vacuum. You can take the fuel line off the carburetor and lead it into a coffee can. Then start the bike (it will run for a little while from the gas in the float bowl), and make sure fuel is flowing freely into the coffee can.

If it's not a fuel flow issue it could be an obstructed jet.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:24 PM
jaystay42
Stage IV

The fuel flow seems fine, That was one of the first things I checked...completely took apart the Carb yesterday and didn't see anything out of the ordinary, but I am by no means a mechanic.

As to the obstructed jet, I do not know how to check that...

Like I said before, the bike will Idle and sit in Neutral just fine, only when it is put in gear and rode does it seem to act up :/

Old 08-06-2011, 08:10 PM
jaystay42
Stage IV

Fuel flow seemed fine, but just to double check, I took the added fuel filter that I have in between the Carb and the petcock and it seemed to of fixed the problem...Now I need a new cone filter...