Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

stock heads and cylinders on big bore stroker evo HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:09 AM
kingofthecrate
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock heads and cylinders on big bore stroker evo HELP!!!

I guess here is my dilemma.

The bike was put together with a factory evo case and a stroker crank with bored out top end. Andrews cams and jims tappets.

My latest issue was the piston burned a hole thru the cylinder wall cause smoke to come out from the front cylinder to the exhaust..

this motor has obviously been frankensteined out by all means.. I bought it that way and now its my fixing and I have already had the motor torn down twice. once to replace sheered off pinion shaft and second time because the lower case bolts were stripped and well now its got a practically new bottom end but my issues are still in the top end

I am not 100% sure of the oversize bore as of now but at this point what cylinders can I buy that are already oversized and can I just put high compression valve springs on the factory heads or do I have to replace the heads out as well?

I realize there are NO cheap alternatives but I have already dumped 3200 into thie evo motor and I am leary about dumping 2k for heads and cylinders..

any suggestions

Old 08-03-2011, 01:11 AM
kingofthecrate
Novice

I guess I forgot to mention the heads and cylinders were factory evo heads and cylinders. just bored out probably beyond the point of them handling the heat.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:53 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Your heading says "big bore" cylinders.
Whey are you worried about the the OE's?
As far as the cylinder heads are concerned, once we would know the size of the engine, cam, and intended riding, we can get the OE castings brought around to the level that is needed.
Scott

Old 08-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A new set of cylinders and reworking the existing heads can get you a comfortable 90/95 torque and horse with great street manors. Did you replace the cases, what year?

Old 08-03-2011, 02:04 PM
kingofthecrate
Novice

97 Evo heritage softail.

I bought the bike under the impression that a stroker kit was installed and the top end was bored out. I am not sure of the specs at this moment because I am away from the bike and its down at my buddies shop. All we know at this point is the front cylinder burned a hole right thru the wall and we think because of the higher compression and maybe they honed the original walls beyond what should be allowed that it coudnt handle the heat or dissipate it well enough, along with stock heads (minus andrews cams and jims lifters and rollers) no machining was done to the heads, nor the valves or springs..

Old 08-03-2011, 02:08 PM
kingofthecrate
Novice

No I havent replaced the cases yet because I dont know where or what to get.. Im trying to find the best alternative to fit what oversized piston is already in there to just make it work so I can either sell the bike or actually enjoy it..

However since it has the factory cylinders on it now, I find it hard pressed to see how they could squeeze a true 96' out of it.. I was under the impression that a true 95 had oversized cylinders and beefier heads.. I like the idea of getting a 90/95 out of it, I just need to know what parts to get and what type of head work I am looking at..

sorry for all the stagnate replies, Im frustrated beyond hell that I got bit by this curse of a bike.. not to mention the ever old money pit it has become

Old 08-03-2011, 02:19 PM
kingofthecrate
Novice

Ok heres the deal..

Its got a stroker crank.. 10 over piston and built cams and lifters and rollers,, valves and springs and cylinder and heads are HD (other than being honed for the 10 over pistons)

the front cylinder collapsed and burned a hole.. Can I get away with putting stock cylinders back in it and honing them 10 over with built heads? or do I have to go with a bigger cylinder and keeping the 10 over pistons?

Old 08-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can replace the damaged cylinder, work the heads and have a great engine. If you don't have someone to insert the case bolt holes get a set of S&S cases. An 87" engine can be a great power plant done right.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofthecrate
No I havent replaced the cases yet because I dont know where or what to get.. Im trying to find the best alternative to fit what oversized piston is already in there to just make it work so I can either sell the bike or actually enjoy it..

However since it has the factory cylinders on it now, I find it hard pressed to see how they could squeeze a true 96' out of it.. I was under the impression that a true 95 had oversized cylinders and beefier heads.. I like the idea of getting a 90/95 out of it, I just need to know what parts to get and what type of head work I am looking at..

sorry for all the stagnate replies, Im frustrated beyond hell that I got bit by this curse of a bike.. not to mention the ever old money pit it has become

An 80" Evo can roll off 95 plus hp, 95 ft/lbs easily.
See www.woodcarbs.com for old results of ours.
Scott

Old 08-03-2011, 11:27 PM
kingofthecrate
Novice

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
An 80" Evo can roll off 95 plus hp, 95 ft/lbs easily.
See www.woodcarbs.com for old results of ours.
Scott
Yeah you are talking about a lot of money with their stuff.. I already have a carb, I have cams, and I have a stroker kit. I NEED a cylinder and to get the heads built which I have spoke to kingofthecube about.

Quick Reply: stock heads and cylinders on big bore stroker evo HELP!!!